Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Expired and cannot access important files on the machine - HELP!

Senior User

Expired and cannot access important files on the machine - HELP!

Hi,

I am desperate here after logging on to see my SAS-U had expired and I had not received any email notifications to update. As you can imagine, I have important files on the machine itself (not shared folder), that I was working on.

I managed to get a new ova machine set up, but am unable to retrieve my files from the old machine on Virtualbox (error is: The launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code.). Can someone kindly point me in the right direction? I just would like to get the files even if the old machine no longer works. Thank you very much...

Ryan

Super User

Re: Expired and cannot access important files on the machine - HELP!

Since UE is just a learning tool, there can't be any "important" data on it that can't be recreated by rerunning the exercises. Unless you violated the license agreement.

The only method to temporarily revive the VM I can think of is a reset of the PC's clock to an earlier date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
SAS Super FREQ

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Hi, @rxng. Just to confirm your situation: You have data stored in the VM rather than the Shared Folder, is this correct?

Though I'm not too enthusiastic about it, you can also open a VMDK file (which contains your VM) with 7-Zip. Once you do this, you can retrieve your files.

Thanks,

Randy

SAS Employee

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

To add to Randy's answer, here are two screen shots. 

Use the "open archive" option and then navigate within the vmdk file to where you have saved your work. You can copy and paste then to a better location such as the myfolders area on your local machine.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation