Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Error with Downloading SAS University

Occasional Contributor

Error with Downloading SAS University

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 1.14.12 PM.pngHi everyone,

I am trying to import SAS University using Virtual Box on my Macbook, but I keep receiving this error message. Any thoughts on how I can resolve the issue at hand?

Thanks!

Super User

Re: Error with Downloading SAS University

The (1) tells me you've downloaded the file more than once.

What's the size of your .ova file?

Occasional Contributor

Yes I downloaded it twice but both versions had the same problem. The file size is 454.8 MB.

Super User

My downloaded file is approximately 2GB, you only have a partial file for some reason. 

Try redownloading, it does take a while.

Occasional Contributor

I have tried redownloading the software and it gives me this when I downloaded it:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 2.00.23 PM.pngHowever, when I access the file it states that the file has a size of 0 bytes now. Is there any reason why the software would not be properly downloading?

Super User

So the file doesnt download at all, that's typically what a file of 0 means? Can you show screenshot of downloaded file in Finder winow with size?

Also, show Virtual Box before setup. 

Is this a fresh install that you're doing? I'm assuming you've donwload the latest version of VBox, 5.0.3 or something along those lines?

If you're on a mac and willing to spend a couple of dollars (less than $50) I know that VMWare Fusion does work better. If you're a student they have a student price. You can try the demo for 30 days to get started if you wanted as well.  

I'd also wait and see if @BeverlyBrown may be able to help. It's possible there's something wrong with the server download at the moment. 

Occasional Contributor

Here is the Finder window with the size:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 8.19.19 PM.png

Here's a view of Virtual Box:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 8.22.58 PM.pngYes, this was a fresh download of VirtualBox. I am a student, and I am hoping to not spend money on VMWare Fusion but I will give the demo a try.

Super User

Dumb question, how long are you waiting for file to download?

Occasional Contributor

I was waiting about 5 minutes for the file to download. I am now trying to download SAS again (using Safari instead of Firefox), and it is taking way longer than last time (so far 20 mins compared to 5 mins before). Not sure if the browser change will help, but maybe the file is finally fully downloading.

Super User

You must have super fast internet. It usually takes me about 30-60 mins. Part of that is the speed they provide. Make sure it says complete before you try and use it. 

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, sasuser768. I don't know for sure if the suggestion Reeza has provided has solved your problems. The download dialog from Chrome that you included above definitely shows you have the full 1.9 GB file.

If you have not yet been able to install it, you are welcome to send email to support@sas.com or call 1-800-727-0025

Generally, if you've been able to download the large file, bringing it in to your virtualization software (VirtualBox, in this case) is easy!

Do let us know if you have additional questions.

Randy

New Contributor

There's a problem with the update because I also cannot download it to my MacBook using Chrome and I've been trying since Thursday 4/21.  Every attempt fails at about 20-25% with the message 

"The download did not complete. Make sure you are connected to the internet and try again."  

The update file is 467.5 mb.  I'm on my employer's internet and there are no limitations/issues that would interfere.

Until now I've had no problems with Virtual Box and SAS in the 6 months I've used them.

SAS Super FREQ

Hmm, I can think of two possibilities:

1) Perhaps your download is being throttled by your Internet provider. This is unlikely.

2) It might be that there is a pause in the process (for some reason) and the download is timing out. I don't know why this would be.

3) There's no chance you're out of space, are you?

These are all unlikely but have to be mentioned.

I don't think there's anything systemically wrong with the download -- certainly there have been thousands. But, still, it's your download that is of concern here. Sometimes we recommend that you try from another network location, like home or a library. I know that's not convenient but might be an approach, given that you've been trying for a while now.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

The SAS download is still not showing up with the proper file size in Finder, however, I was finally able to import SAS using VirtualBox. The software seems to be working fine now. It appears that switching the browsers may have allowed it to download properly.

New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. 

First, I want to confess that I didn't read the thread carefully and my problem was the update, not the initial install.

1)  The good news is that last night I tried again from home (which I previously tried over the past weekend) and the download succeeded at 20-25 mbps.  

2)  Earlier at work, I ran a speed test randomly for a couple of hours and results ranged 25-38 mbps.  However, it occasionally dipped as low as 1-5 mbps only to return to normal rates a minute later.  So, it could be that the intermittant dips caused the problem.  I've never had a problem downloading new apps or updated apps in recent memory (I have 30 years of internet experience), so I don't understand why this one isn't engineered to cope with a temporary slowdown.  Long running updates such as OS and MS apps don't fail. 

Again, thanks...

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation