Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Error while starting VM virtual box

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Error while starting VM virtual box

VM Virtual Box was woring fine for me earlier. But when I tried to start it now I got a error message :

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

Please help me with it. As I was able to start it earlier on my laptop So what is the issue now and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance......

Error message.png
Super User

Re: Error while starting VM virtual box

What changed between now and when it worked?

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Nothing has changed.I dont know why i am getting this error
SAS Employee

Hello, @s_m!

Just to clarify, you were able to successfully launch the virtual machine and access SAS Studio before?

This error message indicates that virtualization needs to be enabled in your BIOS. Here is a helpful SAS Note for this type of error message. http://support.sas.com/kb/46/250.html 

It does appear that your virtual machine settings were changed so that the operating system is Windows. The SAS University Edition OS should show as Red Hat 64-bit.

If you continue to see this error message after checking your virtualization settings, would you mind posting your logs? They can be found here: C:\Users\<YOUR USER ID>\VirtualBox VMs\SAS University Edition\Logs and will be dated as of the last time you tried to launch the virtual machine.

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Posted in reply to CarolineC
Yes i was able to launch virtual box and access sas studio.So please help me what should I do now to make it work again.
SAS Employee

Hello, @s_m!

Thank you for confirming.

Do you have Hyper-V installed? That can cause VT-x/AMD-V to be disabled.

You can disable Hyper-V in the command prompt or in the Windows Features window. I've included a detailed walk through for disabling it below.

http://www.poweronplatforms.com/enable-disable-hyper-v-windows-10-8/

Do you mind checking to see if you have Hyper-V installed and enabled? If you do, please follow the steps to disable it and then try to launch the virtual machine again.

Thank you,

Caroline

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Hello @CarolineC

In windows features I can not see hyper V.Please see the attached screenshot. But In services I am able to see somethin related to Hyper V. So plaese help me what should I do next?

Should I need to disable any or all of HyperV services from there or what else?

Earlier I was able to launch Virtual box and access SAS studio.I have not installed HyperV myself. So why I am getting this error?

Thanks for your support.....

Attachment
Super User

@s_m No one is going to download a zip file. 

Super User

@s_m please re-read @CarolineC original response. The OS should be RedHat, the OS is the OS of the virtual machine not your computer. I'm not sure how those changed. I would reset them to RedHat and if you can't I'd download a new image and start the installation process over, making sure to follow the instructions step by step or the instructional video. You do not need to change any settings in the VM except for the shared folders. 

Super User

Post screenshots of your virtual machine set up including the shared folder. How many cores/RAM did you set it up with? And what is the OS?

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Hi @Reeza

I am attaching the screenshot you have asked for.

Specification are:

Windows10

4Gb Ram

Please look into the matter and help me out.

Thanks for your help.

Shared folder.png
Contributor s_m
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Reeza

Please see the attached screenshot.Some sort of settings are there in VIrtual Box.

I am using laptop with Windoes10 and 64 bit architecture but in Virtual box setiings are somewhat different. Do I need to firx it?

Thanks

Invalid Settings.pngSettings.png
SAS Employee

Hey, @s_m!

Hyper-V doesn't appear to be running, so that shouldn't be the conflict here.

However, the VirtualBox settings are incorrect. When you tried to start the virtual machine this time, did you click New instead of starting the existing machine? A new machine defaults to Windows 7, so that may be what happened here. Did you have to go through the steps to re-share your folders?

The type should be Linux and the Version should be Red Hat 64-bit. It looks like you have an old machine with those settings correct below the $m machine. You can discard the saved state by right clicking on that machine and selecting "discard saved state." You can also check your configuration against the screen shots in this SAS Note.

I would recommend following @Reeza's suggestion: either reconfigure the virtual machine or download a new image and start the installation process over. After importing the appliance, you don't need to change any settings in this screen; just click import.

settings.PNG

Also, if you need access to the study2 folder in SAS Studio, please move it under myfolders. SAS Studio is looking for a folder called "myfolders" not "study2."

examplefileexplorer.PNG    study2.PNG

Contributor s_m
Contributor

Hi @CarolineC

I have reinstalled the virtual box. I am gettig another error meassage.Please have a look on the screenshot attached.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Please help me through this problem. I want to access SAS University Editon.

kernel.png
Super User

Delete the other virtual machine, you have two in the list and then re-install only one. Reboot Oracle Virtual Box as well. 

Also, make sure the ova file is in location you have read/write/execute privileges, sometimes not the desktop or my documents.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation