Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Error setting up SAS UE - MAC address must be 12 hexadecimals long

New Contributor

Error setting up SAS UE - MAC address must be 12 hexadecimals long

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with completing the steps in the Quick Start Guide for Oracle Virtual Box (http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVi...)

I completed everything up to step: 3 g. Click OK to close the Settings dialog box.

I cannot click OK, since there is an error saying: NETWORK: ADAPTER 1 page: the MAC-Adres must be 12 hexadecimals long. 

I did not fill in anything there, since the quick start guide does not tell me to do so.

Does anyone know what this means, and how to solve it?

unvbasicvapp__9411006__ova__en__sp0__1

Thank you very much.

Super User

Re: Quick start guide

Posted in reply to thuijsmans

Hmmm...start over from scratch and skip step 3 for now entirely, you can come back to it afterwards. 

If that doesn't work please post an image of your set up. 

New Contributor

Thank you. I tried to skip step 3 entirely, but when I tried to start the SAS University Edition vApp (step 4), I got an error again. I made a printscreen and attached it.

installation error.png
Super User

It's in another language so not 100% sure but it looks like this is the same issue as here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SAS-University-Edition-Installation-Problem-COM-Port-...

Try using the earlier version of VirtualBox and see if that helps.

New Contributor

Now I tried it with an older version of Versionbox and the situation did improve I guess, because the initial problem with the hexadecimals disappeared and I could finish step 3. But when I tried step 4 (starting the machine) the following error appeared:

Het is niet gelukt een sessie te openen voor virtuele machine SAS University Edition.

VT-x is not available. (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Resultaatcode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:Console
Interface:IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Translated from Dutch to English, the first line says: It did not work to open a session for virtual machine SAS University Edition.

Would be great if you know what the problem might be here. Otherwise I could ask tomorrow at my university. Thanks a lot for helping so far.

Super User

That's a common one, it means your computer doesn't support virtualization or it isn't enabled. 

If you can't get it working you have two other options, using SAS UE via AWS, charges may apply or SAS Academics On Demand -Independent Learner, no charges apply. 

See the links under trouble shooting to enable virtualization:

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/main.htm

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation