Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Error msg: the launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code

SAS Employee

Posting on behalf of DAnkrah who posted this as a comment to another document.

Hello,

I just installed SAS University Edition on my laptop. When i pressed SAS start studio to have a feel of the platform I got this message: "the launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code". What should i do now? Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Daniel

New Contributor

Re: Error msg: the launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code

I have the same issue...pls help. Tried the solution in the installation guide regarding no. of processors but I get the same error whether it is using 2 or just 1 processor within the settings. Tried a repair of VmWare player too but the issue continues.

N/A

Re: Error msg: the launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code

Hi Danrak,

I also had the encountered same problem

i tried to created myfolders directory under SAS-University-Edition folder and add it as shared folder in my VM Player.

SAS tries to look for this folder to establish the connection with VM.

Trying this resolved my issue.

Thanks,

Ajeet

SAS Employee

I checked in with some of my Tech Support friends and this is what they suggested. I hope it helps you all. I'm providing the email response as it came to me.

They will need to either change their CPU number in their virtual machine settings from “2” to “1” (I have attached a picture of which setting this is in the VM player),

vmwareproc.JPG

or check where their shared folder (also called SASUniversityEdition as instructed in the quick start guide) is saved. If it’s saved somewhere like C:\ProgramFiles, they will need to change that location to somewhere like “C:\Users\username\documents” because this location isn’t restricted by administrative privileges.

N/A

I made the mistake of placing the shared folder "myfolders" in my Program Files.  I entered that path in VMplayer Options under Shared Folders and now I cannot click on the path to remove it.  The add, remove, and properties buttons are all greyed out, so I cannot remove it and change the shared folder location.  Do you know of a remedy?

Super User

I think that error has to do with the status of the VM. You either need it running or not running to make changes  Sorry can't remember which, though the answer is on the forums.

N/A

Thank you.. I have solved my problem by creating and changing the "myfolders" filepath C:\Users\Username\Documents\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

Occasional Learner

Thanks brother
Learner

Thank you,

I change System/processors to  "1" processor and it works properly.

I using Virtual box.

Best Regards;

Liliana Santacruz

SAS Employee

Thank you so much.

Learner

For me (on a Linux machine), the issue was incorrect file permissions to myfolders path. 

chmod 777 /SASUniversityEdition/myfolders

This was the solution for me!

New User

I got the same error message while I was sure that "myfolders" is not restricted. I changed the number of CPU cores to 1 and it solved my problem.

Hope it will help others.

N/A

Using 1 processor, have unrestriced privileges, still get error.

SAS is not working at all.

N/A

I'm using VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X. Had the same problem.

After

1. shared folder "myfolders" under SAS-University-Edition

2. reduced the 2x processor cores (and 1024MB memory).

I fixed my problem.

I think it is a limited 2-core edition. Any more cores will simply block the execution of the program.  I'm going to add a bit more memory as i have plenty memory on my MacBook Pro.

Cheers

charles

N/A

I am running VMPlayer on window 8.1 and i had the same issue. This is how i fixed it.

- After selecting shared folder "myfolders" under SAS-University-Edition, Make sure "Read Only" check box is unchecked.

I hope it helps.

Good luck.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats