Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Enterprise Miner running on Parallels on a Mac?

Contributor

Enterprise Miner running on Parallels on a Mac?

We are using SAS OnDemand and running Enterprise Miner, Studio and Enterprise Guide.  Some of my students have a Mac. The university offers Parallels which allows a Mac to run Windows software at a discounted price.  I would think that installing Parallels would allow my students to run the SAS applications under Parallels. However, before I let students know about Parallels, I wondered if anyone had actual experience doing this and if they had any issues. 

Thanks.

Jerry Flatto

SAS Employee

Re: Enterprise Miner running on Parallels on a Mac?

SAS Studio is web based so the students should only need a browser.  EM is a Java based client that, while not officially supported for the Mac, _should_ run without the need for Parallels (I've run it on Linux without issue).  As for EG under Parallels, I cannot comment.  Hopefully, there are others than can share their Mac experiences.

=G=

Super User

I was able to set up and use EM WITHOUT Parallels but it wasn't straightforward, I haven't tried in a while. 

Are students going to use both Studio and EG? I assume just one, so if the Mac students use Studio they may not need to install Windows at all. 

The students would have to buy both Windows and Parallel. I also recommend VMWare instead, there's a hefty student discount and it works well with various OS. 

Contributor

Thanks.  Since I have a Windows machine and the SAS requirements says "Windows only", I had no way or reason to look at Macs.  I know Studio is browser only while Enterprise Miner uses Java but since I do not have a Mac, I had no reason to assume it work work.  I do not actually use Enterprise Guide in my classes but a colleague does.  Enterprise Guide does have an application install on Windows so assume it would not work on a Mac.

What issues did you have when you tried to get EM running on a native Mac (i.e., no Windows software).

In my case, the university sells Parallels for $40.  I can provide students Windows for free under my Microsoft Academic license so Parallels is not a major expense.

Super User

It had to do with the Java installation and getting the correct version installed and in the right location. 

It wasn't insurmountable, but if your students aren't techy it could be problematic. 

EG cannot be installed on a Mac

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation