Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

ERROR: The V6 engine cannot be found

N/A

ERROR: The V6 engine cannot be found

I'm running SAS-University-Edition via Oracle VM VirtualBox.  I need the data inside a very old SAS file with extension .sd2 which apparently corresponds to SAS version 6.

After googling, I tried the following command:  libname diss6 v6 'c:\dissertation\';

However, I received the following error:  ERROR: The V6 engine cannot be found.

It appears that I need to get and install the v6 engine, but I can't seem to find out how to do that.  Does anyone know how to get started, or an easier way of converting this file to a current format?

--Kelly

SAS Super FREQ

Re: ERROR: The V6 engine cannot be found

Hi, kcline. I will see if I can chase down a precise answer to your question today!

Randy

Super User

Ouch. Since the SAS UE is a very closed block of SW, I don't think you will be able to fix this by yourself. Only SAS could release a version of SAS UE that includes the V6 engine.

I suggest you find someone who can convert your dataset to the current format (anybody with a "normal" base SAS installation).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User
Super User

Do you have the free SAS Viewer utility?  Its a free download and should open the file in basic mode.  From that you can then save the file as CSV and import it into any software/version - this is one of the big benefits of plain text based formats (CSV, XML) is that they can be read on any system/version.

SAS Super FREQ

Here's a link to the SAS Viewer download:

SAS Downloads: SAS System Viewer

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation