Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Does SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) have data size limitations?

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Does SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) have data size limitations?

Hi,

Does SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) have limitations with respect to the size of data it can be used to analyse?

For example, can SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) only be used to analyse data for 1,000 customers (or whatever that number is) at any one time because it is a software used for learning purposes?

If there are certain limitations, what are those data size limitations / restrictions?

Cheers,

Sandesh.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-29-2016 08:20 AM
Super User

Re: Does SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) have data size limitations?

I guess that there are no explicit limitations written into the SAS system as used in SAS UE. But you will run into implicit limits imposed by the configuration of the VM (memory size, and mostly the physical size of WORK).

The missing tasks will mostly be a consequence of modules not included in the UE license/setinit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

What have you tried, and what limitations/errors did you run into?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

Hi @KurtBremser,

I haven't encountered limitations. This was something that crossed my mind given that SAS Studio 3.5 (University Edition) does not have the following Tasks modules - High-Performance Statistics, Econometrics, Statistical Process Control, Data Mining. There are a lot of pre-written tasks in the existing modules that provide ample ammunition for now but it would be interesting to know if there is a limitation on data size / number of rows / columns in the university edition.

Cheers,

Sandesh.

Solution
‎07-29-2016 08:20 AM
Super User

I guess that there are no explicit limitations written into the SAS system as used in SAS UE. But you will run into implicit limits imposed by the configuration of the VM (memory size, and mostly the physical size of WORK).

The missing tasks will mostly be a consequence of modules not included in the UE license/setinit.

Contributor

Thanks @KurtBremser, for your input on my query. I do appreciate that since it is software that is to be used primarily as a learning tool, it wouldn't have all the modules that the commercial version of SAS Studio would offer. I'm not too sure of what setinit is but I guess it is something to manage licences and the modules that are available / unavailable based on the type of licence.

Cheers,

Sandesh.

Super User

proc setinit is the procedure with which a license is set for the SAS system. In a SAS license file, you can find the piece of code that the SAS Deployment Wizard will run.

Simply doing

proc setinit;
run;

will show you the licensed modules in the log.

Contributor

This is great. Just executed the proc setinit.

Super User

There's no limitations based on number of rows. I couldn't sort a dataset of approx 3 million obs due to size though. I changed my process to get around this by merging subsets before appending data. Procs such as GLM or Logistic may run out of memory since there's a maximum of 2GB r RAM. 

Contributor

Thanks @Reeza, for your response to my query. From the example you have provided I take it that if this dataset of 3 million observations were to be sorted on a standard / commercial version of SAS Studio 3.5 we wouldn't have the issue you mentioned. Also, you are saying that we can allocate a maximum of 2GB RAM on the virtual machine we're running university edition on and that procedures like GLM or Logistic may not run because of this limitation, is that correct?

Cheers,

Sandesh.

Super User

It may or may not run on Base depending on set up. 

Yes, procedures such as GLM or Logistic may not run - but the 3 million records isn't a hard and fast rule. The size will depend on the number and types of variables. 

These links may be helpful. 

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/limitations.htm

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/What-are-the-permitted-uses-of-SAS-University...

Contributor

Thanks for the clarification and the links @Reeza. I've had a chance to look at the acceptable uses link earlier but not the limitations one.

SAS Super FREQ

You can adjust the amount of RAM that is allocated to the VM. For example, if you are using Oracle VM, launch the virtualbox, then

1) Choose Machine-->Settings. The Setting dialog box appears.

2) Click the System icon. 

3) Set the Base Memory as desired.

Attached is a scren shot that shows the process.

j.png
Contributor

Thanks for this tip @Rick_SAS. My VM is currently set to 1GB of RAM. It shows a maximum allowable of 4GB. Also, the setting is currently at 2 CPUs with the maximum allowable of 4 CPUs. I don't think setting both the RAM and the number of processors on the VM to their maximum allowable should have any effect on the speed that my laptop operates at, is that correct? Are there any reasons why setting your VM to its maximum possible capacity might not be something we'd want to do?

SAS Super FREQ

The SAS UE is limited to 2 CPUs. SAS recommends that you not allocate more than half your RAM to the VM.  You have to leave RAM for the operating system, browser, email, and other applications.

Contributor

Thanks @Rick_SAS. The VM Settings allows selection of more than 2 CPUs but then errors while starting SAS Studio UE from the browser with the following message 'The launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code.' Not sure people using UE are aware of the CPU limitation on the VM and if they get this error message, it doesn't provide much indication of what the issue is. I can pass on the information if someone I know encounters this error message.

Another related question was if UE allowed more than 2 CPUs would the 1 - 2 GB RAM still act as a bottleneck to processing power?

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation