BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
opoudyal0
Calcite | Level 5

How do I display date in the YYYYMMDD format? Like 1960/02/21.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

If you want to continue to use the same variable name, you need to output the result as character.  For example:

datevar = put ( input(datevar, mmddyy10.), yymmdds10. );

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

I can't test it right now, but you should be able to control the separator as well:

format datevar yymmdds10.;

format datevar yymmddd10.;

s = slash

d = dash

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Astounding wrote:

I can't test it right now, but you should be able to control the separator as well:

format datevar yymmdds10.;

format datevar yymmddd10.;

s = slash

d = dash

The default separator for the YYMMDD format is the dash or hyphen.

Possible separators for the extended version of the format (as @Astounding posted) are

n no separator

b blank

d dash

s slash

p period

c colon

opoudyal0
Calcite | Level 5

What about if my date is a character variable and not numeric? For example: I have 11/5/1969 read in as character and I need to change it to the YYYYMMDD format.

Astounding
PROC Star

If you want to continue to use the same variable name, you need to output the result as character.  For example:

datevar = put ( input(datevar, mmddyy10.), yymmdds10. );

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

5 Steps to Your First Analytics Project Using SAS

For SAS newbies, this video is a great way to get started. James Harroun walks through the process using SAS Studio for SAS OnDemand for Academics, but the same steps apply to any analytics project.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation