Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Data Size

SAS Employee

Data Size

Do you know what is the limitation about the number of rows/columns/size to work with data at SAS University Edition?

Super User

Re: Data Size

Posted in reply to Ricardo_Galante

I believe the VM is set to 2GB but you can work with larger files if you're working on your local drive.

ie Haven't heard of a limitation based on data size.

Trusted Advisor

The SASwork is limited to some sizing. Did not yet researched that one. The log/lst for the interactive screen has very small limits, when hit the system looks like hanging.

The memory is limited about some several Gb's. The number of cpu-s is limited (2). You can see those with "proc options;run;"

These are installation specific ones, it is educational.

You can define you own fixed locations on your machine. 

The number of columns has not been limited I believe. 8213 - Understanding the maximum allowable size of SAS® data sets in the Windows, UNIX, and z/OS ope... . RDBMS systems have limits.

SAS(R) 9.4 Language Reference: Concepts, Third Edition (Names in the SAS Language)  and SAS(R) 9.4 Language Reference: Concepts, Third Edition (Understanding the Observation Count in a SAS Data File)

Little mistake and a got 134M records and a 5Gb dataset.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
N/A

Hi Dr Karman,

I am a teacher and I have only educational interests using the SAS University. But putting a limitation of 2 processors and 2 GB RAM is extremely limited for my case!!!!! (and others!!!). The SAS is too slow to 1 or more that 2 million data. Why do not expand the use to those persons showing the use for academic purposes.

If this keeps up, I'll have to dismiss the usage.

Regards,

Respected Advisor

Posted in reply to mario_santana

I believe the limitations for a "free of charge" SAS version for training/learning purposes is quite reasonable. If you need different specs for what you're doing and this is for educational purposes only then as Jaap suggests contact SAS.

If you're working for a University then it's also possible that your Uni got already some other licences and you might want to contact your SAS admin at your institution as well.

Trusted Advisor

Posted in reply to Ricardo_Galante

Mario,  I am not working at SAS just knowing a lot of it.

When the limitation of UE is to nasty for you and needing real processing power. I suspect research topics...

Then contact SAS sales/support/learning at your country.     

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation