Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Creating a permanent sas data library on MAC

Contributor

Creating a permanent sas data library on MAC

Hi all,

I have SAS university edition on my mac machine..

I am traying to create a permanent SAS data library called SASINTRO.

In Virtual box, I chose MACHINE -> SETTINGS and added a new shared folder and given appropriate permissions to the folder myfoldres located under /Users/username/SASUniversityEdition on my mac machine,

I have written this code in sas studio program.

libName SASINTRO '/Users/username/SASUniversityEdition/myfolders';

But I am getting the following error.

43 libName SASINTRO '/Users/archanasudhir/SASUniversityEdition/myfolders';

ERROR: The path /Users/archanasudhir/SASUniversityEdition/myfolders is invalid because it is not in the list of accessible paths

when SAS is in the lockdown state.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I am very new to SAS and hope I am not asking something silly.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Archana

Valued Guide

Re: Creating a permanent sas data library on MAC

You have probably seen al lot of similar posts of people putting in C:\My documents\... and got the instruction to use the Linux path SAS is using.

This is similar like the that Windows one, do not use the Full MAC path but use the Linux path SAS is using.
If you follow the instruction for Windows people (that one is less confusing by \ ) you see what to do.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

I am having the same problem as discussed above.  Not clear what path needs to be used for mac.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Ramki. Just to get some basic facts: I assume you are using VirtualBox? Have you created the Shared Folder as described in Step 3 here:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVi...

Once you've created your Shared Folder (to any suitable location on your Mac), then you should be able to access data stored in that folder. (And, of course, you can have more than one if you'd like.)

If you want to assign a libname, just go to the Folders tab on the left in SAS Studio, Option-click on the folder, and choose Properties. The location listed there is what you'll want to use in your libname statement.

New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply.  Yes, it works now. We need to use the same folder path that we see in folder properties within SAS studio.

New User

Thank you for your suggestions. It works for me.
Super User

I think you need to refresh your SAS Studio after you set up the shared path.

Then try adding it to the Folder List first, then the libname. 

Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for the above suggestions.

I seem to be having problem with shred folders assignment. It says Invalid settings detected. More than 50% of host's computer menory is assigned to virtual machine.

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 2.49.31 pm.png

Any guidance is most welcome!

Kind regards,

Archana

Valued Guide

See: https://communities.sas.com/thread/58528

Cynthia@sas did and excellent explanation as the 5-th post. See the perm library definition.

You can review the effective path settings viewing on properties files/libraries within SAS studio.

The message above is a warning you can run out of resources.
Your first posted message is a error coming when running sas. Do try to solve this one first.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
N/A

I am having related troubles--I am also using VirtualBox on my Mac, and I was watching "Accessing Data in SAS Libraries" youtube demo. When I submitted my libname command on my own, the code didn't get any errors or warnings, but I got a different note than the youtube demonstration. See below. What does it mean that "Library SASINTRO does not exist"?

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 12.38.48 PM.png

This creates a problem later, when I try to create a table in a new permanent library. See problems below.

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 1.09.30 PM.png

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation