Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Cox Regression on SAS University Edition

New Contributor

Cox Regression on SAS University Edition

I recently downloaded the SAS University Edition.  I wanted to perform a cox regression on an existing dataset to obtain beta coefficients for each co-variates within my dataset. I tried to run a cox regression on my dataset and I ended up with a graph with no beta-coefficients or other values. I was wondering if this is even possible to obtain on the SAS University Edition as I understand there may be limitations because this is a free program. Any help would be much appreciated! 

Super User

Re: Cox Regression on SAS University Edition

Posted in reply to ilovexmen

Survival analysis is supported in SAS UE. 

New Contributor

Thanks for answering! Do you know how I could obtain the beta-coefficients within the program? I am having trouble with how to get the values. 

Super User

Are you not getting any values? Or are you asking how to capture the parameter estimates into data set?

If it’s the first, post your code and log and what your current steps. 

If it’s the second see this blog post. 

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2017/01/09/ods-output-any-statistic.html

New Contributor

I have a very limited knowledge on coding and statistic programs so I feel like I am definitely not doing this right. I realized that I was not using the cox regression correctly. 

My dataset includes five risk factors aka predictors. There is also an end event. I am unsure on how to run cox regression on this particular data set. When I open cox regression, I do not see any buttons that allows me to directly input my existing dataset. Do I need a specific code for this? 

Thanks a lot! 

Super User

If you're not sure, run through the tutorial first. The documentation has several fully worked examples. Work through one or two of them - the full process and see which situation most closely matches yours and go from there.

http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=statcdc&cdcVersion=14.2&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_phre...

Click on Examples to see the examples that you can run.

SAS Studio does not have a task for Cox regression that I know of (SAS Academics on Demand). I see Cox Regression under power and sample size, but that's it. Which means you'll need to use the programming side. PROC LIFETEST does the KM curves and survival curves in general. PROC PHREG is for competing risks or cox regression. PROC LIFEREG can also be used, but it's definitely seen a lot less. 

@ilovexmen wrote:

I have a very limited knowledge on coding and statistic programs so I feel like I am definitely not doing this right. I realized that I was not using the cox regression correctly. 

My dataset includes five risk factors aka predictors. There is also an end event. I am unsure on how to run cox regression on this particular data set. When I open cox regression, I do not see any buttons that allows me to directly input my existing dataset. Do I need a specific code for this? 

Thanks a lot! 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation