Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Contents of library orion is blank.

New Contributor

Contents of library orion is blank.

Hi,

I am doing SAS e-learning for base programming and using SAS 9.4. Well I able to assign orion library but my proc contents coding for _all_ nods and _all_  is showing the same results. Little help much appreciated.

libname orion "C:\Users\USER\Documents\My SAS Files\coursedata\My SAS Files";
proc contents data=orion._all_ nods;
run;

Super User
Super User

Re: Contents of library orion is blank.

When you are saying you are doing learning.  Are you using the SAS University Edition?  If so you need to use the approriate pathing to the area - c:\... - is not valid.  

New Contributor

Yeah I am using the university edition. Well could you help me to identify the correct path? Where should I find it? Thank you.

Super User
Super User

Hi,

I don't use UE myself, so can't tell you, however I do know that paths like:

C:\Users\USER\Documents\My SAS Files\coursedata\My SAS Files

Do not work on SAS UE - they should look like the unix system:

//home/somewher/library..

You should have a section on this in your user documentation, or you can look through this subforum:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/PROC-IMPORT-Delimited-Data/m-p/275196#U275196

Here for instance it is showing a path as:

/folders/...

So you probably need that - there is no "c:" drive in this context.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Sivarama. You can always right-click on the name of the file or folder you want tot reference, get the Properties, and that will give the correct path. If you just copy that path, it will be correct and will also cut down on typos.

Randy

SAS Super FREQ

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Hi:

In the instructions for setting up the data in the programming classes that use the ORION library, we explicitly recommend that you make a folder named after the class:

Programming 1 - ecprg193

Programming 2 - ecprg293

Macro 1 - ecmac193

SQL 1 - ecsql193

Then, depending on how you are using SAS, the setup instructions tell you to provide your path to the data and to set up the ORION library using these 2 statements to start:

SAS Studio with University Edition on the AMAZON AWS or in a Virtual Machine:

%let path=/folders/myfolders/ecprg193;

libname orion "&path";

Note that on the AMAZON AWS, you only have to make the empty class folder. But with the University Edition in a Virtual Machine, you MUST set up shared folders correctly depending on whether you are using VMWare or VirtualBox as your virtual machine software. If you have NOT set up shared folders, then the LIBNAME statement won't work. And, as Randy pointed out. you CANNOT use a C:\drive location when you are using the University Edition. Whether on Amazon or on a Virtual Machine, your C:\ drive on your computer is not the location to use.

SAS Studio with SAS OnDemand for Academics on the SAS cloud server (where I have userID in the code below, you would put your actual user ID for logging onto the control center):

%let path=/home/userID/ecprg193;  

libname orion "&path";

But before you even issue those statements, you are instructed to MAKE the folder where the class data will be created. You are making an empty folder named as instructed inside the class. For the 2 examples above, I have shown the statements for the Programming 1 course.

Then, after you make the folder and after you run those 2 statements, you are still not finished. The setup instructions have a program that you MUST submit to make all the data used in each e-learning class.

There have been previous postings about the ORION library, with screen shots. It is not hard, but you have to do the setup, all the setup before your data for the course will be created.

cynthia

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation