Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Can't start SASU asking for a kernel

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't start SASU asking for a kernel

I installed Virtualbox and SasUniversityEd.  It looks like its not recognizing my CPU.    I am running on a HP Pavilion dv6-6c14nr with an Intel i5 core (64 bit processor).

When I start machine SASU The error message I get is  "PRESS F12 to select boot device.

This kernel requires x86-64 CPU. detected an i686CPU.  Use kernel appropriate for CPU."

Thanks for the help.     Jim

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-09-2014 03:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't start SASU asking for a kernel

Installing SASU on HP Pavilion dv6 I had 2 glitches.

First I got  the VirtualBox error message "Failed to open session for the virtual Machine. VT-x is disabled in the Bios.    Found solution online in virtual box forum. On the HP reboot and hold the f10 key  access HP system Bios go to  System configuration, then down to virtualization. use F5 to turn enable virtualization , save exit. reboot.

Second, I got another error message "This kernel requires X86-64 CPU detected an i686 CPU.  Use appropriate kernel for CPU.

In the Virtualbox Settings screen it had Ubuntu (32 bit).  In drop down I changed Ubuntu (32 bit) to Ubuntu (64 bit) and the machine started.

Jim  (29 year SAS user)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Solution
‎07-09-2014 03:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Installing SASU on HP Pavilion dv6 I had 2 glitches.

First I got  the VirtualBox error message "Failed to open session for the virtual Machine. VT-x is disabled in the Bios.    Found solution online in virtual box forum. On the HP reboot and hold the f10 key  access HP system Bios go to  System configuration, then down to virtualization. use F5 to turn enable virtualization , save exit. reboot.

Second, I got another error message "This kernel requires X86-64 CPU detected an i686 CPU.  Use appropriate kernel for CPU.

In the Virtualbox Settings screen it had Ubuntu (32 bit).  In drop down I changed Ubuntu (32 bit) to Ubuntu (64 bit) and the machine started.

Jim  (29 year SAS user)

Occasional Contributor

Had same problem and this seems to have fixed it.  Much thanks for your post.  The stuff directly from SAS was useless.

Community Manager

For others who encounter this, the answer is part of the SAS Analytics U FAQ.

What is a "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU" error?

Senior User

Thanks a lot Jim_G Smiley Happy It worked for me...!!!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation