Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Can't read mdb file on mac using virtual box

Occasional Contributor

Can't read mdb file on mac using virtual box

Hi,

I was trying to read a mdb datafile using this code, which I learnt from SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition.

LIBNAME mex ACCESS PATH='folders/myfolders/SAEH_BD2000.mdb';

I got an error message

ERROR: The ACCESS engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

Anyone can share your experience in opening mdb file using SAS studio (university edition)? I am using virtual box and mac OS X 10.9.4.

Thanks

Sophia

Super User

Re: Can't read mdb file

On which platform are you doing this (Windows or UNIX)?

Seems you either have ACCESS to PC Files not installed or licensed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your reply. I am using mac and running it via virtual box. Is there any way i can read .mdb files on a mac computer?

Sophia

Occasional Contributor

Kurt, I have checked SAS/ACCESS® Interface to PC Files comes with the SAS version i have. SAS Software for Academia | SAS

Super User

If you have the SAS University Edition, you have SAS that runs on Linux in a VM, which itself runs on your Mac.

The module to directly access .mdb files needs software by Microsoft that is ONLY available on Windows, so you can't do what you wanted to do. In order to directly work with .mdb and .xls you need a Windows platform somewhere (on which you run the "PC Files Server").

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your information, that is very helpful to know. So with you said, I should be able to make it work if i run SAS using a MS platform by installing a parallel program on my mac ? And will i also need to have MS ACCESS installed?

Super User

You need a Windows instance somewhere.

On this you put your .mdb or .xls files and install the SAS PC Files Server (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/63184/PDF/default/acpcref.pdf)

Then you can use SAS ACCESS to PCFILES to connect from your SAS to the PC Files Server.

AFAIK, the examples in the UE regarding direct access to MS office files are there for studying, but cannot be run in the UE.

Trusted Advisor

I would use this reference (9.4) for cheking what is possible: SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition 
When you could install pcfiles server on your Windows desktop there is a possible way to solve it.

SAS Support Downloads Browse (Downloads SAS PC Files Server)         You don not have a Windows desktop..... 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jaap,

I have looked up SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition as you suggested. That is a very neat table for reference. As Kurt has mentioned above that SAS university editions runs on a VM using Linux running on my mac. Does it mean that any file format that is supported by LINUX will work on my mac via virtual box?

In that case i can just buy a software to convert mdb to these file format and will save a lot of trouble. Yes....unfortunately i use mac exclusively as a long term R user. But I know SAS is much faster in cleaning huge data file....I have some huge datafile coming in so i am starting SAS from zero..... It is very helpful to have all the replies from Kurt and Jaap.

Trusted Advisor

As Kurt already indicated as soon there is a Windows driver required (the ACE driver).  There must be Windows somewhere either direct or indirect (PC files server).
That is why the pc-files server is mentioned with access and the libname method.

For a huge datafile the UE is a nice try but remember it is crippled to not really ready for operational usage.  A server approach having many virtual processors (up to 64) more as 1 Tb ram an a lot of IO storage/speed are commercial options although still needing a budget far above personal usage. Would be nice to combine SAS with R (SAS/IML) in your case. Hmmm must be a big difference processing on a iMac versus a IBM P5-P7/AIX or  Dell 920 poweredge (fully loaded)
Some huge datafile coming in? All is relative with that, what is your classification on huge?      

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation