Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Can I have a desktop AND laptop SAS (University Ed.) application?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can I have a desktop AND laptop SAS (University Ed.) application?

I'm brand new to SAS and have the free university edition for Macs. I'm not clear if I can have two versions? I'm working with a tutor (as of today) and want to be able to Skype on my big desktop computer at home, versus the laptop which I will be using to work on SAS in class. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Employee

Re: Can I have a desktop AND laptop SAS (University Ed.) application?

Hi @outspokenrn

Having SAS University Edition installed on both your laptop and your desktop is fine. Like Chris stated, there is a limited number of times SAS University Edition can be downloaded, which will not be an issue if you only download it twice. If you need to have the download count reset for your SAS Profile, you can request the reset from SAS Technical Support.

SAS University Edition does use a shared folder on your local machine though to access your files. If you want to use the same files in SAS Studio on your laptop and your desktop, you will have to have the sames files in your shared folder on the laptop and on your desktop. 

Happy learning!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure that's not a problem - I've had a copy on my desktop and a copy on my laptop (for when I'm on the road) almost since SAS UE was first released - as long as you're not using it for commercial purposes I'm sure SAS are fine with it.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I don't think that's a problem.  The system will let you download it only so many times though, I think, so keep that in mind.  That limit can be reset if you run into trouble (as sometimes people do if the download doesn't complete).

Remember that we also have SAS OnDemand for Academics -- another free option that doesn't require an install, just an internet connection and a browser.  Completely fine for independent learners to use, even outside of an academic setting (again, not for commercial purposes).

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chris:

Do "SAS OnDemand for Academics"  represent SAS University Edition? I am looking for facilites that are NOT given in University Edition like Data Step Debugger and other functions.   Particularly, Debugger enhances the learning process. Can I get Debugger, at least, in SAS OnDemand?

Super Contributor

I assume you mean "the other Chris" :-) but I think  I can answer your questions anyway. SAS OnDemand does have some extra Procs available - it costs nothing to register and try it out so I suggest you do that and see if it gives you what you need. However it still runs on SAS Studio and the question about the debugger was asked by another user recently here -> https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/debugger-in-university-edition/m-p/392860#M6474 and the answer is "No".

As I said on that thread though I've been a professional SAS programmer for more years than I care to remember and never used the degugger other than out of curiosity, nor have I come across anyone else who has! The most common way of debugging is to use the Put statement to write message to the log or to keep interim files and variables to see what's happening.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

ChrisBrooks:

It is the other Chris.

Thanks for your information. I respect your view on datastep debugger. But I differ.

Community Manager

I agre the DATA step debugger is a great learning tool.  Because it's a very interactive window it's available only in EG at the moment (and in the legacy SAS DMS environment).  I know that the SAS Studio team is looking into what can be done in a browser-based tool, but I'm not aware of a solid plan to bring it into this environment.

Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Employee

Hi @outspokenrn

Having SAS University Edition installed on both your laptop and your desktop is fine. Like Chris stated, there is a limited number of times SAS University Edition can be downloaded, which will not be an issue if you only download it twice. If you need to have the download count reset for your SAS Profile, you can request the reset from SAS Technical Support.

SAS University Edition does use a shared folder on your local machine though to access your files. If you want to use the same files in SAS Studio on your laptop and your desktop, you will have to have the sames files in your shared folder on the laptop and on your desktop. 

Happy learning!

Super Contributor

There is a slight workaround to the limitation of having the files on both machines which @cfisch_88 mentioned. I have my main Dropbox folder shared so that all sub-folders are automatically shared. This means that yes, they are on each machine, but Dropbox will synchronise them so that you can work on your Desktop or Laptop on the same files seamlessly.

New Contributor

Thank you Chris (whichever one replied first). I'm working with a tutor and he confirmed I'd need to use a flash drive (or a cloud-based file, like Google Drive) to move files from one computer to another. I appreciate the responses. 

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation