BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I have been a pseudo-SAS programmer for the past 15 or so years. I am looking to sharpen my skillset and was wondering if there any online SAS projects that one can get involved in?

If not, then what is a good way to practice and learn by doing?

I would be grateful for any replies

Thanks

Steven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Well, free SAS Tutorials are here:

http://video.sas.com/#category/videos/how-to-tutorials

Editor's Note: Additional free tutorials are available on the SAS Users YouTube channel:

You can also get the SAS OnDemand for Academics for free to practice on, it's limited for learning.

There are also books out there. Personally I find learning by doing easiest, so going through all the above, then maybe set your self problems, or do the SAS Certification test.

@Reeza also offers this advice:

Maybe here's a better way. If I was hiring a SAS programmer here's what I wish they knew how to do...coming in the door Smiley Happy

1. Generate reports to Word or PDF directly - publication ready. This would be things like a Table for a journal publication with the standard deviation in brackets or plus/minus sign and the p-value.

2. Familiar with basic plots - SGPLOT at least and know that GTL exists even if not how to use it.

3. Simulation - How to simulate data for basic problems. Can you simulate a lottery draw of 5 numbers?

4. Excel. Excel. Excel. It's a pain, a thorn in the side of many analysts, but one that you'll have to deal with at some point. Can you import data, export data? Generate formatted output to Excel, see req #1

5. How to work with SAS date, datetime variables

6. Can you transform data - wide to long, long to wide? 

6. Last but not least - can you formulate a question, or explain the problem clearly, to differentiate what issues are SAS, what issues are data issues and demonstrate how to go about finding the answer to problems.

And from @kapass:

I recommend you get one of Ron Cody's books: Learning SAS by Example, or An Introduction to SAS University Edition. They both have problems at the end of each chapter, and solutions to the odd-numbered problems at the end of the book. 

http://www.sas.com/store/books

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Well, free SAS Tutorials are here:

http://video.sas.com/#category/videos/how-to-tutorials

Editor's Note: Additional free tutorials are available on the SAS Users YouTube channel:

You can also get the SAS OnDemand for Academics for free to practice on, it's limited for learning.

There are also books out there. Personally I find learning by doing easiest, so going through all the above, then maybe set your self problems, or do the SAS Certification test.

@Reeza also offers this advice:

Maybe here's a better way. If I was hiring a SAS programmer here's what I wish they knew how to do...coming in the door Smiley Happy

1. Generate reports to Word or PDF directly - publication ready. This would be things like a Table for a journal publication with the standard deviation in brackets or plus/minus sign and the p-value.

2. Familiar with basic plots - SGPLOT at least and know that GTL exists even if not how to use it.

3. Simulation - How to simulate data for basic problems. Can you simulate a lottery draw of 5 numbers?

4. Excel. Excel. Excel. It's a pain, a thorn in the side of many analysts, but one that you'll have to deal with at some point. Can you import data, export data? Generate formatted output to Excel, see req #1

6. Last but not least - can you formulate a question, or explain the problem clearly, to differentiate what issues are SAS, what issues are data issues and demonstrate how to go about finding the answer to problems.

And from @kapass:

I recommend you get one of Ron Cody's books: Learning SAS by Example, or An Introduction to SAS University Edition. They both have problems at the end of each chapter, and solutions to the odd-numbered problems at the end of the book. 

Reeza
Super User

Try doing a Kaggle competition perhaps?

Or answering questions on here...some of them are projects 😉

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the replies

I had a quick look at the tutorials and they could be a bit basic for m but sure will pick up some new things.

I have my Base SAS Cert and am going for the Advanced Cert.  In the place I work I find that there is not so much opportunity to learn new skills due to time pressure and deadlines and the type of work.  I saw SAS now have the University Edition to help learn so thought I could learn in my own time. Then the question arises, how to find 'problems to solve' the data and also learn from other programmers.  Hence thought if there was a place for SAS projects one could get involved in. Going through and passing the Cert exams is ok but then need to apply the knowledge somewhere. Could look for a new job i guess but would like to hone my skills before stepping out.

@Reeza could you maybe send me some links to help me start with what you mentioned, especially the possible projects here? 

"Try doing a Kaggle competition perhaps?

Or answering questions on here...some of them are projects"

Many thanks

Steven

Reeza
Super User

Maybe here's a better way. If I was hiring a SAS programmer here's what I wish they knew how to do...coming in the door 🙂

Kaggle's pretty straightforward, its more analytics than SAS though. Its a contest to see who can develop the best models so definitely a bit challenging. It usually requires a lot of data manipulation, cleaning and research, but if you want a work case you won't have a better example. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Ok, so your a bit more advanced.  Unfortunately we all have time pressure, and so learning is very much as needed.  Also, for my are aof work, and I assume others as well, is tightly controlled with regards to IP, hence its unlikely you would be able to get involved in anything commercial.  I don't know where your based, but in Europe there is the Phuse group who look at various Pharma things and are trying to build standard code libraries, that might be something to look at but if its not your field/region then maybe not.  Its hard to say really, once you have done the courses, then its really job based learning.  I second @Reeza, have a look through the forums here, there is lots of good examples and questions.

kapass
SAS Employee

I recommend you get one of Ron Cody's books: Learning SAS by Example, or An Introduction to SAS Univeristy Edition. They both have problems at the end of each chapter, and solutions to the odd-numbered problems at the end of the book. 

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and replies...appreciated a lot to help me start off. I purchased the SAS Proc SQL (Lafler) and SAS Macro Processing Made Easy (Burlew) to gain some more knowledge and help with the SAS Advanced Exam ( I have the prep guide from before).  It makes me feel more confident starting from the base upwards learning these 2 disciplines, rather just for passing the exam.

I realise there is also SAS Application development and this also interests me. Gonna keep my options open for now as hopefully new doors will open the more I apply myself and learn SAS. I'll for sure use SAScommunities to check out and learn and contribute to.

Thanks

Steven

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

With regards to SAS App Dev - SCL/AF - its old.  I don't think many use it anymore.  You can integrate SAS with other more widely used technologies though - Java, .Net etc. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

5 Steps to Your First Analytics Project Using SAS

For SAS newbies, this video is a great way to get started. James Harroun walks through the process using SAS Studio for SAS OnDemand for Academics, but the same steps apply to any analytics project.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation