Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Are any of the Statistical software packages available on Tablet computers?

N/A

Are any of the Statistical software packages available on Tablet computers?

I want to be able to use the statistical software packages such as SAS, SPSS and EXCEL in Mocrosoft Office on tablet computers because they are so much easier to carry. The IPAD is supposed to have Office installed on it. Does anyone know whether it is possible to have the statistical software packages available and be able to be run fro tablet computers? If not then why not? What is the hold up?

Super User

Re: Are any of the Statistical software packages available on Tablet computers?

Posted in reply to Dr_SujataBoseSinha

Mostly because doing heavy analytics from a tablet sounds torturous. I can't imagine doing it. For one thing most of my datasets are in the several GB's and a tablets 64GB size may be an issue, the screen size is another.

I believe there's a version of SAS via a web editor so this should also work on an iPad.

Excel will work on iPads and Surface Tablets.

For SPSS or SAS or R I'd consider spinning up a virtual environment using Digital Ocean or Amazon and using remote access.

SAS Employee

SAS Visual Analytics runs on tablets. The processing takes place on servers. See: SAS Visual Analytics | SAS

Super User

Everything that's accessible through a web interface can be handled with a suitable browser, and at least SAS has VA apps for ipad&android and SAS Studio for basic work with a browser.

SAS, SPSS and R all do not support Android or I/OS natively, "only" Windows, MacOS and UNIX.

Tablets are not suited for serious statistical work because they simply lack the computing power. Imagine having a cpu that runs in the 100 watts range (SAS servers usually have several of these!), your battery would be drained in minutes, and your hands would be scorched.

You may be able to do small demonstrations on a tablet.

An aside: Microsoft Excel is NOT a statistical software package, it's a sophisticated spreadsheet calculator/presentator and should not be mistaken for anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Trusted Advisor

SAS studio is the new name for the web-editor. By that you are accessing SAS in a web-based way.
Web-based is opening up using your tablet for that.  Same as SAS-VA.  The analytics-U is going this way with a virtualized local machine.

When it gets implemented it will access the SAS server in a way like EGUIDE. The interface however is more like the old DMS approach.

Your tablet is not powerfull enough to do real analytics. Using the analytics n the cloud approach  (SAAS) bypassed that.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

There is one fairly widely-available tablet that is capable of running desktop SAS and Microsoft Office with performance as good as most desktops. I have SAS 9.4 running on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with 8GB RAM and a 256GB internal solid-state disk. The only gotcha is the size of the screen. It's certainly usable with decent eyesight, and for SAS you'd absolutely need the accessory keyboard/cover. The new Surface Pro 3 should be far better for portable use as it has a 12 inch screen. It's due out in the US within the next couple of months. Of course when back at "base" you can connect it to a regular screen, keyboard, and mouse.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation