Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Are SAS System Options being asked in SAS Base Certification?

Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I am confused between default values of SAS Systems Options. For example -

VALIDVARNAME , YEARCUTOFF

As per SAS ecourse Programming 1: Essentials  and also SAS Documentaion, they say V7 is default value . However when I executed below program in SAS studio, I found ANY as Default value for Validvarname.

Also for YEARCUTOFF, I read it was 1920 as default value. But while in SAS studio it says 1926

Proc options;

run;

Output (Partial) :

VALIDMEMNAME=COMPAT

Specifies the rules for naming SAS data sets, SAS data views, and item stores.

VALIDVARNAME=ANY Specifies the rules for valid SAS variable names that can be created and processed during a SAS session.

VARINITCHK=NOTE Specifies the type of message to write to the SAS log when a variable is not initialized.

VARLENCHK=WARN Specifies the type of message to write to the SAS log when the length of the variable that is being read is

longer than the length that is defined for the variable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORKTERM Erases the Work files when SAS terminates.

YEARCUTOFF=1926 Specifies the first year of a 100-year span that is used by date informats and functions to read a two-digit

year.

_LAST_=_NULL_ Specifies the most recently created data set.

Community Manager

Re: Are SAS System Options being asked in SAS Base Certification?

Posted in reply to androicious

The VALIDVARNAME option can be set differently for applications like SAS Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide, where it's easy to import Excel files that might have "nonstandard" variable names.  If your SAS program needs the option to be set a certain way to work properly, it's a good practice to check the value of the option and set it as needed...instead of assuming the value is set to the "default".

YEARCUTOFF changes as time marches on.  See SAS Note 46368 for the latest.

Chris

Respected Advisor

It's quite a while ago but when I've done my programming certifications then nothing had been asked in the tests which hadn't been covered in the training (I've done the self-study online one). It was also really valuable for me to go through the training as it's also about getting trained/used to of how the test questions will be - and the questions at the end of each chapter really made me aware of what I had to pay attention to in the questions to get it right.

And last but not least: I was really amazed how accurate the test exam had been. The marks I've got there were more or less the marks I've got in the real test. So if you pass the test exam with sufficient "space" then don't worry - else re-study the chapters where you failed or just passed.

Super User

Short answer: Yes

But I don't recall any questions about default values.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation