BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vic4
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just started learning SAS. How do i use the virtual lab for my lessons?

Right now i am working on the SAS Data Management Tools and Applications.

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Every class in the Data Curation Professional package has a separate Virtual Lab. The first thing you need to do is look on the right side of your class screen for the "Virtual Lab Reservation System" area to see whether your ability to make a reservation is LOCKED or UNLOCKED. Here's the difference in the way the 2 different possibilities look:

Cynthia_sas_0-1596384788431.png

If the Reservation System is unlocked, you have to first UNLOCK it by clicking the link to read the documentation. Once the Reservation System is unlocked (you may have to refresh your browser or exit out of the class and enter back in to see the change -- it depends on your browser), then you can make a reservation.

Since by now, you will have read the documentation (not just clicked to close the window), you'll know that it can take 35-45 minutes for your Reservation to start. We recommend that you use this time wisely by watching the recorded lectures and the demos in the class. Actually, we do not recommend that you allow the Virtual Lab to sit idle while you watch videos, so it might be better to go through most of a chapter -- lectures and demos before you start your Lab -- so that you use the time productively.

Once in the Virtual Lab, you need to follow the directions in the course. If you are starting DataFlux studio, then follow those directions. If you are starting Data Integration studio, then follow those directions. Every class has document for how to use the Virtual Lab and will provide any userIDs and passwords you need. Then, each demo and activity and practice will have instructions for what you need to do. We suggest you look for and read this instructions so you can succeed in the activities and practices.

In the Data Management Tools and Applications class, there is a demo in the first chapter that is an instructor-only demo. If you are working in the Virtual Lab for the demo referenced above, then please note that S:\workshop\diacs was the folder on the instructor's image when he recorded the overview demo. Students will NOT have this folder on their Virtual Lab image.

The instructor, in the video, had a special configuration of software with the correct mix of SAS/Access products to run the code. This configuration was not made available to the students, since the code method is not the main focus of the course. The rest of the course uses Data Integration Studio and DataFlux Data Management Studio. 

I hope this information gets you started using the Virtual Lab.

Cynthia