Don't just think like a data scientist. Be one.

Module 2: Big Data Programming and Loading using Enterprise Guide (EG)

SAS Moderator

Module 2: Big Data Programming and Loading using Enterprise Guide (EG)

If you are starting Module 2: Big Data Programming and Loading using Enterprise Guide (EG) or using Enterprise Guide (EG) with Module 2: Big Data Programming and Loading -- this post is for you!

Although I’ve been an instructor for SAS for 29+ years, I’m still a novice when it comes to EG. I know … hard to believe, but I grew up on Mainframe and Window SAS. So while testing Module 2, I discovered that different profile connections were needed with the case study. What? Different profile connections? What does that mean?  A profile connection defines the connection between SAS Enterprise Guide and a SAS Metadata Server. The SAS Metadata Server contains metadata definitions for objects such as workspace servers, libraries, and users that are used by SAS Enterprise Guide.

In the VLE, EG will automatically prompt you to connect to a profile. In this module, you are instructed to connect as student with Metadata0 as the password. This profile connects you to the necessary servers.

sign in.jpg 

If you close this window instead of connecting, you will see the window below. This will take you along the path of using EG without a profile, which is referred to in the case study as local SAS.

close.png

So how do I check my EG/SAS connection or toggle between connections?

• In EG, select Tools -> Connections. The highlighted name is the active profile.  
  • To change the profile, double-click the name to make it the active.

cwondow.png

Bottom line:

• Course 1: Server connection
  • Course 2: Server connection
  • Course 3: Server connection
  • Course 4: No EG, using SAS Studio via Brower

• Case Study 1: Local and Server Connection
  • Case Study 2: Server connection
  • Case Study 3: No EG, using SAS Studio via Browser

So what have I learned?  Always check my profile connection before starting a demo, exercise or case study, especially if the instructions refer to “local SAS”.

-theresa

PS: For more details, check out the attachment.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation