Why not WebEx our User Group meetings?

Why not WebEx our User Group meetings?

Hi gang,

I was wondering if there was any reason why we couldn't WebEx our User Group meetings?

Benefits

• Users who are unable to attend in person can still view the presentation slides live & listen to the presenters.
  • Questions can be asked remotely via the WebEx interface & raised verbally by a moderator.
  • The meeting can be recorded for viewing later.

What are the requirements/costs?

• The presentation machine needs to be connected to the internet, preferably 4G.
  • The microphone would need to feed into the presentation machine.
  • Additional costs would be minimal?

Anyway - feedback, thoughts, discussion?

Regards,

Andrew.

Respected Advisor

Re: Why not WebEx our User Group meetings?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Not sure how much attendance it would get but sure worth a try.

Requirements/Costs: May be worth having a chat with SAS to support such a trial technically.

Super User

Hi Andrew,

Pleased to see that you have raised this topic.

Over a year ago, I had a conversation with someone from the Central Coast NSW asking this question as they are unable to attend the SNUG meetings in Sydney and I had raised it with SAS Australia. I unfortunately didn't pursue this and I thank you for raising it.

I think it would be good to have a discussion with the SANZOC community on their thoughts as there are regional SAS users who are unable to physically attend and may welcome the inclusiveness. Furthermore, it gives the opportunity for SAS users to "attend" other interstate user group meetings or to watch a recorded presentation afterwards which is usually more value than a static presentation.

In terms of the type of session to do... Whilst a WebEx session with moderated questions etc is great for a webinar this may not transfer well for a live audience-based presentation. For a webinar session, the audience dials in and the presenter tends to present sitting down close to a microphone and people are moderating & answering questions. For a live audience-based presentation, perhaps we take an initial approach of recording the event - the presenter presenting with their slides next to them with audio and then based on feedback, number of views and interest we can look towards a moderated type approach.

I'm interested to hear what others think? Have you attended a webinar and raised questions? How do you see this approach with a user group meeting? Would you be interested to see your own state user group presentation live or a recorded session? What about other state user group meeting presentations - would you watch it live or a recording afterwards?

Andrew - maybe some polls could be set up to gauge interest?

Cheers,

Michelle

Thanks for the feedback, Michelle.

I'll set up the poll, but I also think it's worth having a trial run, and since I can't make next week SMUG meeting because I start a new role Monday in NSW, I'll see if something can be set up, and I'll offer myself as a remote "trial user". That may quickly answer some questions of viability before opening up to a wider group of people.

Regards,

Andrew.

Esteemed Advisor

You may also want to look into have webex presenters. While I've never been to Australia, I'd love to be able to present electronically as I'm sure others would as well. While I was president of a rather large user group for the past five years, I was always been disappointed that we really only served an extremely small subset of our local SAS Professional's population.

Super User

Hi Andrew & Art,

Thanks for setting up the poll, https://communities.sas.com/polls/1196

Let me know how you go with setting this up for SMUG next week and if I can assist as I plan to be there.

Thanks for your thoughts Art... It's great to know you would be interested to present at one of the Australian SAS user group meetings. Having a web-delivered user group meeting seems to provides more opportunities for both presenters and users at a global level (assuming the time difference is OK). Good point!

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Esteemed Advisor

Time shouldn't pose too much of a problem for North Americans. 9am your time is 5pm the day before here in Toronto, and 2pm in California.

Super User

Hi Art,

Our user group meetings usually start around 5pm so it may be an issue with time differences with it being 1am in Toronto and 10pm in California.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Esteemed Advisor

OK, so maybe time would be a problem. However, I still like the concept!

Hi Art - I hadn't thought of extending the WebEx idea to remote presenters, but worth working on. For now I want to see how simple/hard it is for users to remote-attend user group meetings. At SMUG we tend to get between 1/4 and 1/3 register but then not show up. Understandable in some cases - work conflicts, etc. I thought this might be an option. Let's see how it goes..

Super User

Hi Andrew,

It was great to have you attend SMUG via WebEx and I hope you heard us say hello... What was your experience with it? Do you have any suggestions going forward?

Cheers,

Michelle

Esteemed Advisor

Did you record the meeting and post the video anywhere?

Art/Michelle,

It was good to be able to peer in on the event from afar, and I was very grateful to Georgia & her team of SMUG committee assistants to set this up at the last minute.

On the whole the process worked. Each component (slides, sound, etc) functioned perfectly in the pre-meeting test but a last-minute reboot of the presentation machine meant sound was not re-activated.

I'm preparing a "To-Do" checklist for future events, including reminders for the local hosts & presenters to consider the remote users - checking the "Chat" box, etc. I had intended to raise it at the SANZOC meeting this Friday.

I am also awaiting feedback on whether or not the session was recorded.

Regards,

Andrew.

Super User

Thanks for the status update.

Hopefully there is time on our meeting on Friday to discuss this...

Cheers,

Michelle

I'll just raise it as a suggestion - it doesn't have to be a major discussion item.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation