What's your thought in going public?

Super User

What's your thought in going public?

Currently this SANZOC group is a private group and membership is approved by a committee member. The committee are discussing the possibility of making the group a public group. What are your thoughts on this, please share?

SAS Moderator

Re: What's your thought in going public?

My view is to go public. I think the pros outweigh the cons. With a public group, SAS experts around the world, will be able to view and answer our questions and take part in discussions. Also, it will be easier for new members to find and join our group. Currently, we don't deny anybody access, which implies that everybody is accepted anyway.

Super User

Thanks Hanlie. Anyone else have any thoughts on this they'd like to share?

Contributor

I'm all for going public. I can't really see any defensible reason to remain private.

R

Occasional Contributor

Of course you should go public! The forum is almost dead!

Open it up!

Hi Michelle/Hanlie,

Since we (as a committee) have done little to apply any admin/screening of members, it seems logical to remove the administrative overhead altogether and make the group open. (The alternative being to come up with some measurable benefits of remaining closed, plus creating some administrative policies which are actually effective for the committee to implement.)

Once it becomes an open group, what is "ANZ" about the group? Does the "ANZ" identity then become no longer relevant, since anyone (ANZ or overseas) can join & participate? It would seem the group will evolve (devolve?) to a general user discussion group where others can participate and/or can point users to the relevant groups elsewhere in the Community. ANZ user groups can still create folders, apply hashtags, etc, but then so can other users, and other user groups.

If we go open, what is the benefit of retaining any local administration/oversight? Do we hand this back to the Community Admins and we (the local user group committee members) simply become users of the group?

It also raises a general question for the Community Admins about how to manage content within the overall Community Site - when is best for general discussion, when is best for specific discussion, etc? For example: a VA question from an Australian user - general discussion in the SANZOC group (where overseas experts can offer advice), or refer the user to a VA-specific group (where he experts presumably already belong)?

I think the Open/Closed discussion is probably decided; it now becomes a question of what do we want to do with this group once opened.

Regards,

Andrew.

Super User

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and raising the question about the "ANZ" nature of the group if it becomes an open group. I think the group would still be relevant as SANZOC in sharing information about what is happening at the ANZ user groups, presentations, projects and perhaps coding for ANZ specific requirements (government policies, regulatory requirements etc). My thought about being an open group, is that members outside our region get visibility on what we are doing and can participate/share their ideas and thoughts as well.

I think there still is a need for local administration for posting local user group information, gathering feedback/ideas from the meetings and events etc. I guess it is up to each individual whether they want to continue to contribute and post as an administrator or as a user.

The point you make about posting questions in a non-related group is something I see generally within the Support Forums and sometimes the posting is moved to the appropriate group or someone makes a reference to cross-post. I also see having SAS product related questions in SANZOC useful, particularly if it relates to ANZ specific topics. For example using Visual Analytics and mapping data within Australia, New Zealand. Also producing models/analysis using ABS related data etc. Whilst these types of questions could also be raised in another groups in the community they are also valid here.

What do others think?

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Occasional Contributor

I'm for going Public, mainly to help with the solving of issues and passing on useful tips.

Isn't that what we are about?

Cheers

P

Hi Peter - I think everyone's agreed we want the group to reap the benefits from being Open. Michelle's post was an opportunity to see what the broader ANZ group thought, plus to flesh out any possible consequences to being open (spam, ongoing administration, etc) and how these will be managed by the various levels of admins online. Regards, Andrew.

Super User

Hi SANZOC members,

It seems the group is now a public group and we welcome the wider SAS user community...

As previously discussed, this community is designed to allow users to share, collaborate and network within and between our local physical ANZ SAS user group meetings ( ) and to share/talk about SAS-related topics that are ANZ related that you are working on ie/ geographic maps or ABS related data etc. General SAS discussions/questions can be posted in the relevant

I look forward to seeing & participating in future online discussions and hope you enjoy your upcoming Q3 2014 SAS user group event too. SAS ANZ User Groups

Kind Regards,

Michelle

SAS Moderator

Hi all members,

This group is indeed now open, which implies that users don't have to apply to join our group anymore, they just need to follow our group. SANZOC is officially the FIRST Public Online Global SAS Users Group Community on communities.sas.com  Smiley Happy

We still request that our Australia and New Zealand users, follow their respective avatars, to enable us to send them private messages about user group events.

Thank you to each and every admin and member for your support and for making this a success. We are constantly striving to improve the page and content, and welcome any ideas.

Warm Regards

Hanlie

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation