What's that acronym?!?

Trusted Advisor

What's that acronym?!?

Hi Everyone,

We live in a world of acronyms or rather TLAs and SAS user group names are renown for them. Last week I received a comment about one of the Australian user group names and it got me thinking how did these names come about? What is their history? and to share the SAS ANZ groups with the wider SAS community (now that SANZOC is a public group Smiley Happy). In Australia there are the following groups:

ANZ.png

Being a SAS user you probably know about the annual SAS Global Forum (previously SUGI - SAS User Group International), which I've incidentally heard named GloFlo and many regional and local SAS user groups around the world. This week as we prepare for our local QUEST user group it would be remiss of me not to also mention the remarkably named WUSS conference that's happening this week too...

So, what about you... do you have a favourite SAS user group names and do you know a bit of their history? You may be interested to see some background on SAUSAG -

I look forward to seeing the discussion from SAS users near and afar...

Cheers,

Michelle

Re: What's that acronym?!?

- you reckon it's better to be "snug" or "smug"? Smiley Wink

SAS Moderator

We are also contemplating starting a user group in South Australia in 2015. Any bright ideas for a name? Smiley Wink

Trusted Advisor

Exciting to hear about the South Australian group... SUGA could be reused... previously SAS User Group Australia to SAS User Group Adelaide?

I'd always hoped SUGA might get revived on a national level one day (although we now have SANZOC online, plus the SAS ANZ Forum..)

How about:

• SAUG: SAS Adelaide User Group
  • AdSUG: Adelaide SAS User Group (at least they'll always pop up first alphabetically!)
Frequent Contributor

Hey what sort of map of A&NZ have you dug up here?!?!  It fails to show the home of SAUSAG - the most contrived of user group names.  (Definitely beats QUEST.)

Good to see it has Adelaide though - in obvious anticipation of its new user group, SUSA (soo-sah). 

Trusted Advisor

Hi ,

I noticed that after I posted it. Oops!!! Would you believe it was Google Maps?!? I think it is due to  the zoom level I chose as I wanted to include NZ.

Funny that you mention SUSA (soo-sah) SAS Users South Australia, as suggested that for the new group too :-)

Cheers,

Michelle

Frequent Contributor

Great minds think alike!

Just need some South Australian users to cast some suggestions/opinions.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation