Did you attend SUNZ this week? Share your takeaways...

Trusted Advisor

Did you attend SUNZ this week? Share your takeaways...

On Tuesday 18th March around 300 SAS users attended the SUNZ Conference 2014 at Te Papa Museum in Wellington. I really enjoyed the day catching up with people I haven't seen for years and learning how the SAS NZ community is using SAS Software. The 3 streams (Business, Technology and SAS Update) gave attendees a lot of variety - perhaps too much, as there were times where I wished I could be in all 3 sessions. :-) The opening sessions and closing presentation were very memorable and great examples of the power of analytics. (Check out the #SUNZ2014 tweets - Twitter #SUNZ2014)

I spoke to people about and discovered that not many people know about it.  Please let other people know... This is the place to continue sharing of ideas, networking & collaboration for SAS AU & NZ related topics.

If you went to SUNZ, what were your thoughts of the day and do you have any takeaways you'd like to share/discuss?

Cheers,

Michelle

N/A

Re: Did you attend SUNZ this week? Share your takeaways...

I attended and it was great to catch up with old colleagues still using SAS after all these years. There were a lot of quality presentations and hard to choose which to go to. Very keen to try out Visual Analytics - that was a highlight for me. Weren't those jingly lanyards annoying!

Trusted Advisor

Thanks for sharing your feedback Amy.

Did you attend Vince Morder's presentation? He got everyone to jingle their lanyards... it was a fun way to start his presentation.

In case you didn't know you can try out SAS Visual Analytics in a demo environment at Register Now - VA Demo | SAS I recommend reading the Quick Start Guide that is there. Also there is a dedicated Visual Analytics community, , that you may wish to follow to learn from others etc.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

N/A

This was my first SUNZ conference and glad it was in my home town.  The conference offered a wide range of subjects (I thought) and I really enjoyed Karl's presentation on data quality - that was my fave.  For future presentations at 2015 it would be great if presenters could talk about how they overcame obstacles with data in projects they are presenting.  A notepad next year in the packs would be great - I didn't bring one as I'd been told they would be in the bags as they had been last year.

Trusted Advisor

Hi Karen,

I attended Karl's presentation too - it was good. Great ideas for 2015 and also the notepad. Maybe you could consider being on the SUNZ committee?

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Occasional Contributor

I have been to a number of SUNZ conferences, but I thought this one was the most thought provoking I had attended.  So although Visual Analytics was a common theme throughout the day, and  there was not much actual SAS code to look at (only one session I attended had any), the concepts and ideas being discussed were very interesting; have we really moved beyond structured data so the cube really is 'dead', or is our role really to just do the analytics and let others worry about the ethics, or do I really want my Power Company to analyse and change my behaviour so they can increase the profits they make from me, etc.  It was fun also to see that Jim Goodnight is helping the All Blacks beat the Wallabies - almost made missing out on seeing McCullum get his 300 against India (just down the road) worthwhile.

As with Karen above, not having a pen and notepad included in the registration pack was very surprising.  There were planty of pens tobe found at the very supportive sponsor's booths, but I struggled to find paper to take notes of sessions for feedbacking to others where I work.

Trusted Advisor

If you attended SUNZ you would have received an email to provide feedback in the 2014 SUNZ conference survey - please do so... Seems like having a notepad would have been good.

Trusted Advisor

Noticed that some # presentations are available to download at SUNZ 2014 Conference Presentations

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation