BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Under windows, the effect of the instruction    ods preferences;  is clear

see paper of Cynthia 250-2012.pdf "Where is the listing windows..."

but under a x11 connection to a linux server, can anybody explain me the  action that this instruction apply,

as i don't see it as ods html close;  is closing yet the html file in the work together with the

closing of the destination?

Andre

ex  the secong html file is created in the work with the increment +1

proc means  data=Sashelp.class ;var age height weight;

output out=a  mean= ;

run;

proc  print data=a;run;

ods html close ;

ods html path="%sysfunc(pathname (WORK))";

proc  print data=a;run;

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

HI:

That paper was written explicitly for the 9.2 to 9.3 way of working. My understanding was that ODS PREFERENCES would force the SAS registry preferences for ODS Results (Tools--> Options --> Preferences --> Results settings) to be checked and "reset". I no longer have SAS 9.3 to check with. So I can't speak to what happens in batch mode or Xwindows mode on Linux. I don't know what an "x11" connection is or how it is impacted by ODS PREFERENCES. That would be a question for Tech Support.

I believe I said in the paper that I was too much of a control freak to use ODS HTML without a FILE=. The behavior of invoking ODS HTML without a FILE= option is to open a new cumulative file that will either be called SASHTML.HTM or SASHTML.HTM (incremented by 1 from the last file created).  In SAS Display Manager mode (the SAS Windowing Environment) issuing ODS PREFERENCES, is supposed to reestablish whatever settings you put in the registry by clicking the Tools--> Options --> Preferences --> Results settings -- but again, not sure what happens in batch mode if you issue an ODS PREFERENCES or what happens in XWindows.

ODS PREFERENCES is NOT the same as ODS HTML CLOSE; though. The only statements that will close an open destination are:

ODS _ALL_ CLOSE; and

ODS <dest> CLOSE; (where <dest> is the destination you opened) And this is yet another reason why I like the full control method of using ODS -- I like to know when I open and close destinations. I am not a big fan of opening ODS HTML, leaving it open for a while and then gathering up all the output into one file. It is useful when I'm in debugging and developing mode, but when I am crunching a bunch of different programs for different projects, I want to have location, naming and closing control in the code that I submit.

cynthia

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Cynthia,

X11 is the other word for Xwindows  (through xming or Nx).

Our use is together with Sas remote browser that is opening "ods results and help"  in Firefox.

When i was preparing the switch between 9.2.3 to 9.3.2  for our linux users, i have observed that

the preferences of creating the sashtml file into the work (common to all users) was usefull

(button create html + use work folder + use ods graphics pushed)

but that the opening of results was prolific  (so we decided to not push the button view results as they are generated).

To view a results it is necessary to click (right maintained click) somewhere in the results windows at the level of the new result.

OR to refresh the already opened sashtml file under firefox/IE.

This avoid a lot of open panes of the browser.

Of course we have showed the classical ods sandwich instructions functionning (ods xxx file=, ...; ..; ods xxx close; )

but people here likes this not too much!

And they were avid about the ods html path="%sysfunc(pathname (WORK))";

*this avoid any cleaning of created html files !;

My question was only about the fact that i really don't see the effect of ods preferences ;   is the Xwindows + RMB  context.

I will perhaps  see with the SAS support but it is not really an incident.

HTH

Andre

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation