BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6
Hello everyone,

I am using ODS tagsets.excelxp for the first time. I am just testing the code and writing the output to an .xls file on my desktop. The code runs fine on SAS; no errors. I can see the excel doc on the desktop with the .xls extension.

However, when I try to open the excel doc I get an error message saying "The file you are trying to open is in a different format than specified by the file extension". The file exists on the desktop and has the .xls extension. Does anyone have any idea why I am getting this error message?

Here is my code:

ods tagsets.excelxp file = "&out.refi_analysis_test.xls";

proc sort data = sashelp.class out = class;
by age;
run;

proc print data = class;
by age;
run;

ods tagsets.excelxp close;

Thank you for any input!!
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Technically, when you call an XML file (what TAGSETS.EXCELXP creates) with a .XLS extension, that error message is correct, the file you are trying to open, '[filename]', is in a different format than the one specified by the file extension.

You just have to respond YES to the popup warning. Or else name the file .XML and do a File --> Open from Excel instead of launching Excel with a double click.
http://support.sas.com/kb/35/581.html

cynthia
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, Cynthia.
I clicked "Yes" and tried to open the excel doc and was prompted "Unable to Read File". Then I changed the file extension to .xml and reran the code. When I opend the xml doc this is what's in it:

-
-
X000000
X000000
2010-08-03T09:38:15
2010-08-03T09:38:15
SAS Institute Inc. http://www.sas.com
9.01.01M3P07282004

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks again.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
At this point, I would recommend that you work with Tech Support.

In all instances of running TAGSETS.EXCELXP and using Excel 2007 to open the file I am able to have Excel open the file when I click YES in response to that message -- using your code. When Excel opens, I have 6 worksheets, one for each AGE.

The XML that you see in the file is CORRECT -- TAGSETS.EXCELXP creates Spreadsheet Markup Language XML as defined by Microsoft for Office 2003. Excel 2007 should open the TAGSETS.EXCELXP XML file (even with a .XML extension). Did you open the file in the browser, in Notepad or with a lower version of Excel (such as Excel 2000)???

Usually, the only time I have issues with the Excel and the XML created by TAGSETS.EXCELXP is one of these circumstances:
1) try to name the file .XLSX
OR
2) perform something in the SAS code that causes the XML to be invalid (like using embedded_title with a version of the tagset that didn't support embedded_titles) -- which doesn't seem to be the case in your code
OR
3) Use EG and try to open the XML file with EG -- the file is OK -- but Enterprise Guide only "wants' to open SASReport XML -- not Spreadsheet XML
OR
4) Use SAS 9.1.3 and have an older version of the tagset template (very similar to #2)
OR
5) Use Office 97 or Office 2000 and try to open the file (since Spreadsheet XML was designed for Office 2002/2003, Excel 97 and 2000 will not open the XML file into a spreadsheet.

To open a track with Tech Support, fill out the form at this link:
http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

cynthia
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so much for your input and suggestions! I have downloaded updated tagsets from http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/ods/odsmarkup/index.html

Apparently this was never installed on my PC. After I downloaded the tagsets the code worked beautifully.

Thank you again for your help!
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6
Actually, one more question. Can we control the font size of the title or the content of the .xls ? I tried to look it up but couldn't seem to find any example.. Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation