The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

"Open in Excel" causing Windows security messages

N/A

"Open in Excel" causing Windows security messages

Until shown today, I didn't know you could right click on a SAS table and select "Open in Excel". As a coding dinosaur I'm used to using the SAS library viewer, viewtable, FSView, SAS System viewer and EG to browse data.

My colleague reported an issue with this functionality that started today. It worked for me when I tried it, so it isn't obviously a security patch, yet after SAS has done all that lovely ODS HTML to write a temporary, her machine prompts her about whether she wants to allow the file to be opened.

Since it is ODS under the bonnet I have listed it here, but if no-one has any ideas we'll raise it with Tech Support. I think we might also restart Windows.

Kind regards

David
SAS Super FREQ

Re: "Open in Excel" causing Windows security messages

Hi!!!
Something like this used to happen with RTF files...when you tried to open it, you got a prompt about whether it was OK to "download" the file, even though no "download" was really happening.

I remember the fix was some registry (Windows) setting. And you probably should contact Tech Support. Here's the FAQ for that RTF popup -- I'm not exactly sure whether this fix would apply to your issue.
http://support.sas.com/faq/040/FAQ04022.html

;-)
Cheers,
cynthia
N/A

Thank you Cynthia,

this puts me in mind of similar issues when using ODS PDF in desktop SAS where I sometimes get a security message.

I shall look again at the process, but it is in the back of my mind that an HTML file is written, which Excel will honour, but is not necessarily the default viewer that I want.

I appreciate the pointers.

Kind regards

David
SAS Super FREQ

David:
Ah, but did she give the HTML file a file extension of .XLS??? In which case, even though we all know it was still HTML, Windows may have done its download thing the same as with RTF.

cynthia
N/A

Good thought Cynthia,

but I performed the "View in excel" action and used the default process.

The _temp_ file reference does have a file type of "xls".

Kind regards

David
SAS Super FREQ

David...the default process uses ODS HTML and gives the file an extension of .XLS -- which should not normally be a problem. The default process in SAS; however, is followed by a dm command to "winexecfile" to open the .XLS file.

So it's possible that there is some disconnect between SAS when it issues the winexecfile command and the download message.

At any rate, I think this is a different TS note than the one I sent before:
http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/SN/010/010119.html -- it talks about RTF
-and- XLS and the file download window having something to do with XP security.

Good luck with this...
cynthia
N/A

Thank you Cynthia,

it was a different SN, it explains why my colleague had a problem I couldn't reproduce and comes just in time to raise with the ESas migration project meeting tomorrow.

Kind regards

David
SAS Employee

If you are using Office 2007, you will likely get the message discussed in this article because the file is an HTML file, not a binary XLS file as the extension indicates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948615

Vince DelGobbo
SAS R&D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

To OP, Vince@SAS: would not this type of SAS "current version" information be most helpful to users when maintained on the SAS.COM support site as a technical note for focused benefit?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Valued Guide

sadly missed the OP dkvj is no longer with us
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation