The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

help with setting format from sas ods to excel

Contributor

hi all,

please help! i have a lot of tables to create manually if i can't figure this out!

i would like to format my tables in excel such that: there is an outline or box line enclosing my table, my column headers are enclosed in a border, and each column has lines (bolded).  my research suggests that the following options, when defining a custom style should do the trick:

rules = cols

frame = box

below is the format i am looking for:

Good_table.PNG

instead, i get this format:

Bad_table.PNG

however, i am not getting the desired formatted output.  Am I forgetting an option? How can I fix this?

/* set up style format */

proc template ;

define style styles.Cecforms ;

parent = styles.sansPrinter ;

class fonts /

'TitleFont' = ("Arial",3,bold)

'headingFont' = ("Arial",2)

'docFont' = ("Arial",2)

;

class table /

borderspacing = 0

borderwidth = 2

rules = cols

frame = box

cellpadding = 8

;

class header /

background = white   

;

end ;

run ;

/* set up macro to create tables */

%macro Cefftab ;

%let Uncnt = Statewide PGE SCE SDGE SMUD LADWP ;

%let Scen = Low Demand,Mid Demand,High Demand ;   

ods listing close ;

ods tagsets.excelxp

body = 'C:\Documents and Settings\agautam\Desktop\Selfgen\CED 2011\Preliminary\Summary_files_chris\summary_ee\EE_Tables_test2.xml'

style = Cecforms ;

%let i = 1 ;

%do %until (%scan(&Uncnt,&i) eq ) ;

%let tempid = %scan(&Uncnt,&i) ;

%let j = 1 ;

%do %until (%scan(%quote(&Scen),&j,',') eq ) ;

%let tempsc = %scan(%quote(&Scen),&j,',') ;

ods tagsets.ExcelXP options(absolute_column_width ='8,4,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,12,8'

width_fudge='0.75' embedded_titles = 'yes') ;

ods tagsets.ExcelXP options(sheet_name="&tempid.rescon-&tempsc") ;

title1 "Table A-8: Energy Efficiency/Conservation Savings (GWh)" ;

title2 "California Energy Demand 2011-2022 Staff Preliminary Forecast " ;

title3 " Residential &tempsc Scenario" ;

proc report data = Rescon nowd split ='\' ;

column PA Year ('Committed' BS AS Prog_price_and_other_effects total_committed)

('Uncommitted' Standards Programs Big_Bold total_uncommitted) total_savings ;

define PA / group ;

define Year / group ;

define BS / 'Building\Standards' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define AS / 'Appliance\Standards' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define Prog_price_and_other_effects / analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_committed / 'Total\Committed ' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define Standards / analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define Programs / analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define Big_Bold / analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_uncommitted / 'Total\Uncommitted' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_savings / 'Total\Savings' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

where PA eq "&tempid" and Scenario eq "&tempsc" and Year between 1990 and 2022 ;

run ;

ods tagsets.ExcelXP options(sheet_name="&tempid.respeak-&tempsc") ;

title1 "Table A-8: Energy Efficiency/Conservation Peak Savings (MW)" ;

title3 "Residential &tempsc Scenario" ;

proc report data = Respeak nowd split ='\' ;

define PA / group ;

define Year / group ;

define BS / 'Building\Standards' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define AS / 'Appliance\Standards' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define Prog_price_and_other_effects / analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_committed / 'Total\Committed ' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_uncommitted / 'Total\Uncommitted' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

define total_savings / 'Total\Savings' analysis STYLE(column)={TAGATTR='format:#,##0'} ;

where PA eq "&tempid" and Scenario eq "&tempsc" and Year between 1990 and 2022 ;

run ;

ods tagsets.ExcelXP options(sheet_name="&tempid.nonrescon-&tempsc") ;

title1 "Table A-8: Energy Efficiency/Conservation Savings (GWh)" ;

title3 "Non-residential &tempsc Scenario" ;

proc report data = Nonrescon nowd split ='\' ;

define PA / group ;

define Year / group ;

run ;

ods tagsets.ExcelXP options(sheet_name="&tempid.nonrespeak-&tempsc") ;

title1 "Table A-8: Energy Efficiency/Conservation Peak Savings (MW)" ;

title3 "Non-residential &tempsc Scenario" ;

proc report data = Nonrespeak nowd split ='\' ;

define PA / group ;

define Year / group ;

run ;

%let j = %eval(&j + 1) ;

%end ;

%let i = %eval(&i + 1) ;

%end ;

ods tagsets.excelxp close ;

%mend Cefftab ;

/* call macro to create tables */

%Cefftab

note: i just attached a small sample of data for the data set "Nonrescon"

Contributor

Posted in reply to asishgautam

i hate to bump this thread but any replies would be greatly appreciated.  i have a coworker who is looking into coding some lines of vba to get the desired format. it seems redundant to have to do this!

Respected Advisor

Include a simple example with data or that uses data we all have SASHELP SHOES or CLASS.  I don't see much difference between the have and need tables at the top of your original post.

PROC Star

Posted in reply to data_null__

If you don't want PA displayed in the report, why don't you just either exclude it or define it to be display noprint?

Contributor

The column "PA" is needed - I think I grabbed an older version of the table I am trying to duplicate. 

Contributor

Posted in reply to data_null__

Hi, I just uploaded a small sample of the data set "Nonrescon".  The difference is in the borders.  I want a border for each column and an overall border for the table and headers but instead I have borders for columns and rows.

PROC Star

You might find the following paper helpful in solving the problem:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/papers/sgf07/sgf2007-report.pdf

Contributor

thanks for the link but unfortunately, this was a bit too much for me to to go through given my timeline.  i'll try to take a look at this later on though.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Rather that concentrate entirely on PROC REPORT, I think you need to work with Style templates, possibly STYLE= overrides and  investigating how to  make your style template work. It is a complicated enough template and PROC REPORT that you may find it faster to work with Tech Support on this question.

cynthia

Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

thanks for the reply. i had not considered the style overrides but will explore them in future work.

Contributor

Re: help with setting format from sas ods to excel

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

a coworker came with a possible solution that gets me to where i want and it does use style overrides - though i would share with everyone else.

style(column)={borderrightcolor=black borderleftcolor=black

borderleftwidth=1 bordertopcolor=white borderbottomcolor=white

borderrightwidth=1 bordertopwidth=1 borderbottomwidth=1}

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation