The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

document store update concurrency

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

document store update concurrency

Hi,

Does anyone know if different concurrent processes can update a document store?  I have a document store as the name of the project and there are several long running process generating output to different folders within it.

Thanks!

--Ben

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-28-2017 10:19 AM
Esteemed Advisor

Re: document store update concurrency

Record locking is part of the capabilities of a SAS/SHARE server, a specialized product for this type of requirements. And there it only works on SAS datasets, not on anything else.

A SAS .sas7bitm file is more like a zip or tar archive, not like a database table.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

What software are you talking about, this seems to have nothing to do with Base SAS where you have posted?  Clarify your question, provide software/version, examples etc.

Esteemed Advisor

An ODS document store is a single .sas7bitm file. Since operating systems only allow write access to a file for one process at a time (and lock others out), I don't think that concurrent processes can write to a single document store at a given time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Esteemed Advisor

PS I moved the thread to the ODS community.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for switching it to the right area, Kurt.  Been working with it so much lately I forget it is part of ODS.

Since SAS can support record-level locking for SAS datasets, was hoping the same might be true of document stores.  I will construct a test case to verify it.  

Thanks!

--Ben

Solution
‎02-28-2017 10:19 AM
Esteemed Advisor

Record locking is part of the capabilities of a SAS/SHARE server, a specialized product for this type of requirements. And there it only works on SAS datasets, not on anything else.

A SAS .sas7bitm file is more like a zip or tar archive, not like a database table.

Regular Contributor

Ah. Thanks, Kurt. Good to know! I can always just use different stores for the individual components of this report group.

Ben
Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation