BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SilvijusA
Fluorite | Level 6

I am quite new to sas, and really sometimes I want to use it as a fast (without scanning through all the documentation) way for analysis.

My comment may not seem very bright (for what I apologize)

But sometimes things are just not intuitive.

For example:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_odsgraph_sec...

attrpriority=none 

vs.

attrpriority=color;

I would like to understand why such option was created. Is it due to process optimization?

It took me a while to resolve this issue, because I wanted to make a time series graph by group with graphs that are different not only with regard to color but also marker and datacontrastcolor statement in SGPLOT was ignored by SAS. When I resolved the issue I was surprised by this feature 😄

In general I am very happy with SAS, and the fact that University Edition is available. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The initial styles in SAS were all (what we now call) attribute priority=none.  The thought was they would work reasonably OK if a color image was printed in black and white.  Many of us did not like this and wanted styles optimized for color.  I pushed through HTMLBLUE, which was an attrpriority=color style.  Its less well known partner was HTMLBLUECML which used the colors of HTMLBLUE but was attrpriority=none.  You have a choice of either type, and you can change the attribute priority for particular graphs or in general.  My preference is to use htmlblue, change the attribute priority to none, and make the lines all solid.  Attribute priority is very well documented and we talk about it in our tutorials.  I particularly recommend the primer in the ODS Graphics chapter of SAS/STAT for basic information about ODS Graphics.  There will be many things in a complicated system like SAS that will be surprising.  This is why we have extensive documentation, all available to google searches, tech support, and SAS Communities.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The initial styles in SAS were all (what we now call) attribute priority=none.  The thought was they would work reasonably OK if a color image was printed in black and white.  Many of us did not like this and wanted styles optimized for color.  I pushed through HTMLBLUE, which was an attrpriority=color style.  Its less well known partner was HTMLBLUECML which used the colors of HTMLBLUE but was attrpriority=none.  You have a choice of either type, and you can change the attribute priority for particular graphs or in general.  My preference is to use htmlblue, change the attribute priority to none, and make the lines all solid.  Attribute priority is very well documented and we talk about it in our tutorials.  I particularly recommend the primer in the ODS Graphics chapter of SAS/STAT for basic information about ODS Graphics.  There will be many things in a complicated system like SAS that will be surprising.  This is why we have extensive documentation, all available to google searches, tech support, and SAS Communities.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation