BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if there was a way to retain an indentation when text is wrapping due to a FLOW statement in Proc Report. For example, I have the following text:
System Organ Class
Preferred Term
Infections and infestations
Upper respiratory tract
infection

What I would like to do is have the word "infection" retain the same indentation as "Upper". Please bear in mind that all of the text in this column is contained in one variable, and that we are not using ODS.
If anyone has any simple solutions to this problem, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

-Phil
4 REPLIES 4
deleted_user
Not applicable
Sorry, it seems that when I posted this, all of my indentations disappeared!!

The "Preferred Term" and "Upper respiratory tract" should have been indented by 3 spaces. The "Infections and infestations" and "infection" have no indentation. Sorry about that!!

-Phil
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you type these special PRE "tags"
[ -pre- ]
..code sample or output sample goes here...
[ -/pre- ]

around your code or example (but without the spaces or hyphens), you can maintain indentation in the forum postings:
[pre]
System Organ Class
Preferred Term
Infections and infestations
Upper respiratory tract
infection
[/pre]

Is this what you described?

It's too bad that you don't want to use ODS, because in ODS, there are ways to force a line break (instead of using FLOW) and there are ways to specify an INDENT.

You might be able to play around with WIDTH= for LISTING and possibly try for the WIDTH to fall in the right place so the FLOWed lines appear to be indented. Your best bet for an answer may be to see whether Tech Support has a workaround. Sadly, I don't think there is one if you are NOT using ODS.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Cynthia,
Thanks for the tip! I will use that the next time I post 🙂

That is exactly what I meant to have appear. It's not that I don't want to use ODS, but rather I was placed on a project that is wrapping up and did not use ODS, and they do not want to change it at this point. The WIDTH= won't really work in this case, because there are many instances of this, and all have different lengths.

Thanks anyway for looking into it! I will check with tech support.

-Phil
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Phil:
Bummer!
cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation