BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sunilreddy
Fluorite | Level 6

I've a raw file with different date values in different records.

eX:

Datalines;

08DEC2015

;

How to read different date types from raw file.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
You can try ANYDTDTE or you can bring it in as character and then try and parse it out using some logic if/then statements.

data want;
format date date9.;
input date anydtdte.;
cards;
08DEC2015
;
run;

proc print data=want;
run;
ballardw
Super User

Don't be surprised if you get values you don't expect.

Your example of 12112014 will depend on your national language setting for whether that is supposed to be MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY.

And 201113 is likely to have problems if it is supposed to be YYYYMMDD as it could be interpreted as 2011 Jan 3 or 20 Nov 2013

Reeza
Super User
Here's an example of a thorough process...it's a bit of work. I've seen some cleaner regex solutions, but I can't seem to find any right now.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Personally I wouldn't risk trying to work with that data.  Go back to your data import agreement - you have on of those right? - and check what it states in there.  If you dont have one of those, make one and get the vendor to agree to it.  They should be providing a robust, structured dataset, which they currently are not.  For instance, what does 12112014, mean?  Is it december or november.  As with everything programmatic - specify, specify, specify, then code.  Programming is in fact 99% irrelevant, specification and documentation is the key.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation