BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Hi, 

I've got a macro that either produces one DATASTEP output or two DATASTEP outputs to an ODS DOCUMENT store, which then I need to copy up to another node.  Something like this (code at end of question), except instead of specifying both lines, I'd like to be able to specify

move \DataStep#* to ^;

or something like that, because sometimes I only have one of the two datasteps.

Is this possible?  I found a reference to a paper from SUGI 27 noting that wildcards were under consideration, but nothing after that...

Thanks!

ods _all_ close;

ods document name=test(write);

proc template;

define table work.nameage;

header header1;

define header1;

text "NAME AND AGE";

end;

column name age;

contents_label='';

end;

define table work.nameheightweight;

header header1;

define header1;

text "NAME HEIGHT WEIGHT";

end;

column name height weight;

contents_label='';

end;

quit;

data _null_;

set sashelp.class;

file print ods=(template='work.nameage');

put _ods_;

run;

data _null_;

set sashelp.class;

file print ods=(template='work.nameheightweight');

put _ods_;

run;

ods document close;

proc document name=test;

list /levels=all;

make \test;

dir \test;

move \DataStep#1 to ^;

move \DataStep#2 to ^;

run;

ods pdf file="c:\temp\test.pdf";

replay;

run;

ods pdf close;

quit;

4 REPLIES 4
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Have you tried a version of the WHERE syntax (as shown for REPLAY at the end of this paper https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/sgf09/318-2009.pdf? My initial thought when reading your question was to use WHERE. I believe that the ability to select objects is only supported using the WHERE syntax, but with CONTAINS as an operator, that gives you the equivalent ability to a wildcard. But that should give you enough flexibility to do what you want.

move ^(where=(_path_ contains 'DataStep#')) to ^; (or something close)

Personally, I'd try to get the syntax working with REPLAY first and then try it with MOVE.

As far as I know, the  WHERE support was added in SAS 9.2. I do not believe you can use a simple * as the wildcard, but that would be a question for Tech Support.

cynthia

snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Thanks, Cynthia, that certainly looks to be the right general direction.  Unfortunately, because my item is (initially) in ROOT, it looks like that's an issue (as I think I have to specify Root as the target directory to Move). That gives an error:

ERROR: You cannot move the document root directory

When I try it with COPY, I get

ERROR: Source path is ancestor of destination path.

I wonder if the latter is because technically \test is included my where clause processing?  I assume the former is because technically I'm pointing to document root as my MOVE target, and while I don't actually want to move the root, it is (necessarily) the origin directory and it looks like to the processor that it's there.  (This is in 9.4 TS1M2, by the way.)

I was considering a workaround, which I will play around with some more today and tomorrow; the possibility of creating a mostly-empty second data step output for those records that oughtn't have one, then deleting DATASTEP#2 using WHERE.  I just have to figure out how to identify them in some fashion as needing deletion!

Thanks!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I think that before you abandon using the WHERE, it might be a good idea to open a track with Tech Support. Knowing the right directory structure for the MOVE will be critical. For what it's worth, I find it best to leave the original (starting) document store intact. Then I always make a NEW empty document store and then I have to deal only with the COPY command. And, I am always in control of the directory for the copy because I can always use the DIR command to place the copy pointer at the root and then navigate down from the top. It may be superstitious, but I always start at the top and navigate to where I want to go and I always use a COPY from the original into the new document store.

Tech Support can look at your data and your code and figure out where you are going wrong with the WHERE. And if what you want cannot be done then they might have a workaround to suggest.

cynthia

snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Thanks, Cynthia - I've done just that, we'll see what they come up with.  I tried my workaround but couldn't get it to work either, as I think I don't completely understand how Labels work.  I would happily make a new ODS Document store, except Copy doesn't seem to work either - so I'm not sure that would help in this case.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation