BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rkumar23
Calcite | Level 5

Yes...Absolutely PDSE ...however unfortunately I don't have predefined members name so I have to first get the members name using either HASH object method as above or something similar and then create these members name in the PDSE followed by further copying the corresponding records in those PDSE members....

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

It's now quite long ago that I've worked with SAS under z/OS but "in my times" you would have stored SAS tables using VSAM and not PDSE.

PDSE would have been used for textual data like SAS code.

Once the VSAM file is allocated (via JCL or a libname statement) you can use it and create/read/update/delete SAS tables as you would do it under any other OS by using normal SAS syntax.

SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for z/OS, Third Edition

So with z/OS it's always the same story: You need to create the external file in the right structure. Once this is done you can use it like you would use a directory in another OS (VSAM file for LIBNAME, PDSE for FILENAME).

I've seen that under SAS 9.4 option "dlcreatedir" also exists for z/OS. Not sure though if this only applies for HFS and if not where SAS would pick up the defaults for defining the file organisation.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Patrick, The DLCREATEDIR is only for UFS. SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for z/OS, Third Edition that is the HFS type (unix) or Posix based.

Today most of the initital sas process are Posix. When installing on z/OS you must be prepared for that. The old MVS is named boundary-files. The SAS/connect when used is starting a sh-script (unix) and found back by a BPXAS address space when using SDSF  RMF or an other monitoring tool.

With SAS V5 the access method was of the BDAM unmovable type. It changed to QSAM (FS/PS) on a low level access method with  EXecute Channel Program (excp access). That are the notes in a mainframe SAS log referring to still being there. VSAM (IDCAMS) has never been used for SAS libraries. SAS is very handy to access VSAM data very underestimated as valuable.

With SAS libraries on z/OS I woul prefer half track size blocks (27998) on a 3390 (model-9 type) minimizing IO for big data processing. The default is (was) 6Kb. A topic for a lot of hot discussions.

Another is the use of cardimage/nocardimage (Hollerith 80 colomn) of the sources datasets. Just recently all input datasets are now mandatory for VBS (autoexec config installation) with a goal of lrecl=255..

If you have a hard-copy of the SAS v6 companion, there is on page 44 described the multivolume approach. That one was implemented wrong by SAS, causing a lot of trouble for that bit in a QSAM file indicating continuation on the next volume (SMS HSM implementation). The correction was made in V8 (2004 migration because of milo-euro) leaving the issue to exist for 6-8 years.                  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I have no Mainframe at my hands but I could try to write machine independend code putting it all together.

With the used parathesis the members in a PDSE should be created as long as the data is clustered (at notsorted at the by)

Putting the libname filenames in top is like having it in JCL.  The adding of A is needed for naming conventions in the Z/OS member approach

42         ;

43         /* test in UE for PDSE */

44         libname test "/folders/myfolders/test";

NOTE: Libref TEST was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine:        V9

Physical Name: /folders/myfolders/test

45         filename test "/folders/myfolders/test";

48         /* machine independent code  create sas dataset */

49         DATA test.LAB1;

50         INFILE DATALINES ;

51            INPUT

52         DAT DATE9. TIM TIME5. GLIBSEQN $ CLUSTER $ DLIB $ DISTNAME $ Deferr $8.

53         threshold $8. ;

54         DATALINES;

NOTE: The data set TEST.LAB1 has 8 observations and 8 variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.03 seconds

cpu time            0.04 seconds

63         proc print data=test.lab1;run;

NOTE: There were 8 observations read from the data set TEST.LAB1.

NOTE: The PROCEDURE PRINT printed page 7.

NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):

real time           0.09 seconds

cpu time            0.10 seconds

65         DATA _null_ ;

66          Set test.LAB1;

67          by GLIBSEQN ;

68          length filevarpds $256 ;

69          retain filevarpds  ;

70          if first.GLIBSEQN then do;

71            filevarpds="%sysfunc(pathname(test))"||"(A"||TRIM(GLIBSEQN)||")"  ;

72          end;

73          file outpds filevar  = filevarpds ;

74          put _all_ ;

76         run;

NOTE: The file OUTPDS is:

Filename=/folders/myfolders/test(A10000),

Owner Name=root,Group Name=root,

Access Permission=-rwxrwxrwx,

Last Modified=28 november 2014 05:27:08 uur

NOTE: The file OUTPDS is:

Filename=/folders/myfolders/test(A20000),

Owner Name=root,Group Name=root,

Access Permission=-rwxrwxrwx,

Last Modified=28 november 2014 05:27:08 uur

NOTE: 4 records were written to the file OUTPDS.

The minimum record length was 192.

The maximum record length was 192.

NOTE: 4 records were written to the file OUTPDS.

The minimum record length was 192.

The maximum record length was 195.

NOTE: There were 8 observations read from the data set TEST.LAB1.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.02 seconds

cpu time            0.04 seconds

78         /* http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hosto390/67326/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0agwv4mwi9x6xn17... */

79         /* http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hosto390/67326/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0e5aa1mquetdin1m... */

---->-- ja karman --<-----
rkumar23
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Japp Karman, your idea/code helped to get it working....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation