The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

ODS output transfer from Z/Os

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

ODS output transfer from Z/Os

Hi,

I need help with ODS in Z/Os, I generated a HTM output dataset on the mainframe called  ABC.DEF.GHI.HTM which contains the output of the print proc.

I'm using send/receive utility to transfer the mainfrarme dataset to PC using the BINARY scheme transfer type, post tranfer I rename the file as _something_.HTM 

When I open the file _something_.HTM in PC (Windows), Output is all invalid characters.

Could anyone please describe what is the best way to get out of this situtaion?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-18-2015 08:16 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: ODS output transfer from Z/Os

An HTM or HTML file is just an ASCII text file. @ballardw's suggestion is a good one to try doing the transfer as TEXT or ASCII.
cynthia

View solution in original post

All Replies
Grand Advisor

Did you try using an ASCII transfer?

Solution
‎11-18-2015 08:16 AM
SAS Super FREQ

An HTM or HTML file is just an ASCII text file. @ballardw's suggestion is a good one to try doing the transfer as TEXT or ASCII.
cynthia
Esteemed Advisor

Z/OS uses the EBCDIC character set, which differs significantly from the ASCII-based character sets on all other operating systems.

Therefore you need to use ASCII or text transfer modes, where the conversion is done on the fly for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor

Adding a reply here in case anyone else gets this as a recommendation.

First - when transferring from z/OS to another platform:  HTML and Javascript files (if any) should be transferred as Text (ASCII in some FTP programs)  - codepage translaton will happen between EBCDIC and UTF8 or ASCII;  image files (JPG, PNG, etc.) have to be transferred in IMAGE or BINARY mode. 

Secomd - there's a free Apache-based web server for z/OS that isn't hard to set up and get running; maybe just server the pages from the mainframe itself.  One advantage:  When you re-run your SAS program to tweak the graph or update it, you only need to refresh the web page in your browser, no file transfers necessary.

Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation