BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nrk1787db1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I need help with ODS in Z/Os, I generated a HTM output dataset on the mainframe called  ABC.DEF.GHI.HTM which contains the output of the print proc.

I'm using send/receive utility to transfer the mainfrarme dataset to PC using the BINARY scheme transfer type, post tranfer I rename the file as _something_.HTM 

When I open the file _something_.HTM in PC (Windows), Output is all invalid characters.

Could anyone please describe what is the best way to get out of this situtaion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
An HTM or HTML file is just an ASCII text file. @ballardw's suggestion is a good one to try doing the transfer as TEXT or ASCII.
cynthia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Did you try using an ASCII transfer?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
An HTM or HTML file is just an ASCII text file. @ballardw's suggestion is a good one to try doing the transfer as TEXT or ASCII.
cynthia
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Z/OS uses the EBCDIC character set, which differs significantly from the ASCII-based character sets on all other operating systems.

Therefore you need to use ASCII or text transfer modes, where the conversion is done on the fly for you.

TimH
Quartz | Level 8

Adding a reply here in case anyone else gets this as a recommendation.

First - when transferring from z/OS to another platform:  HTML and Javascript files (if any) should be transferred as Text (ASCII in some FTP programs)  - codepage translaton will happen between EBCDIC and UTF8 or ASCII;  image files (JPG, PNG, etc.) have to be transferred in IMAGE or BINARY mode. 

Secomd - there's a free Apache-based web server for z/OS that isn't hard to set up and get running; maybe just server the pages from the mainframe itself.  One advantage:  When you re-run your SAS program to tweak the graph or update it, you only need to refresh the web page in your browser, no file transfers necessary.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation