BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
twildone
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi.....I am creating an excel file with tables on different worksheets/tabs using Proc Report with ODS ExcelXP. I want to include graphs that are created and correspond to each table and placed them beside the table. Any suggestions. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Your subject is ODS EXCEL but your question mentions ExcelXP, which one is it? 

ExcekXP does not support graphs. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Reeza is correct. ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP does not support graphs, but ODS EXCEL does. Your choices are to use ODS EXCEL and create graphs with SAS procedures. Check out the pre-production PROC MSCHART: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/odsproc/67922/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1rkgggqswgaezn158...

cynthia
twildone
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Cynthia....I am using SAS 9.2 and I don't think PROC MSCHART can be used with SAS 9.4...

twildone
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza....Its ExcelXP. I need to and want to export the graphs beside the tables in the excel file. Whats the easiest and best way to do this?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi -- By Microsoft design specifications, the type of Spreadsheet Markup Language produced by ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP does NOT support graphs.

That means you will have to 1) create your .XML file using TAGSETS.EXCELXP and then 2) explicitly save the file as a .XLS or .XLSX file so it is in native Excel format and then 3) insert the graphs either manually or using VB script or using SAS and DDE (which I don't recommend).

You are correct that you can't use MSCHART with SAS 9.2, but Reeza is correct that you can't use graphs with ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP. So you will NEVER be able to use SAS to insert graphs into the TAGSETS.EXCELXP output using ONLY TAGSETS.EXCELXP -- Microsoft did not include graphics support in Spreadsheet Markup Language and that means SAS can't do something that Microsoft does not support.

Investigate the HTMLPANEL destination, TAGSETS.TABLEEDITOR or TAGSETS.MSOFFICE2K, all of which are HTML-based destinations. You can insert links to graphs in HTML files and Excel has been able to open HTML files ever since Office 97.

cynthia

Reeza
Super User

@twildone wrote:

Hi Reeza....Its ExcelXP. I need to and want to export the graphs beside the tables in the excel file. Whats the easiest and best way to do this?

9.2 was released in 2008 so it's only about 8 years old. You can't expect 2016 result type reports from an 8 year old version. 

Upgrade to 9.4. It's free and included with your license.

Given that that it can be accomplished relatively easily in newer versions its not worth the time developing something for 9.2, unless you're being paid for it 🙂

twildone
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza.....I have upgraded to SAS 9.4...hopefully I can figure out what is needed and should be done from ExcelXP in SAS 9.2 to EXCEL using SAS 9.4.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation