BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi ,

I have a SAS Dataset  summary_details   which looks like below and I want that dataset to export to specific cells in Excel (c17 to d17 : c20 to d20)

with a specific sheet name (Test60) how do it do that ?

SAS Dataset

Summary_details

_NAME_    COL1

IP_SUM     10

CV_SUM    20

RS_SUM    30

I want above SAS Dataset to be in C17 to d17 and c20 to d20  in excel  and sheet name should be Test 60 . How do I make above data to fall into specific cells in excel . Can anyone please help ?

IP_SUM     10

CV_SUM    20

RS_SUM    30

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza ,

Thank you so much . It worked 🙂 . But I get output like below how do  I change code so that I don't get obs , _NAME_ and Col1 and just get the records to excel . Can you please help .

Obs_NAME_COL1
1IP_SUM10
2CV_SUM20
3RS_SUM30

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Reeza
Super User
Is this going to an already existing Excel file? A brand new file? Are header rows allowed?
If it's a new Excel file and header rows are allowed this is trivial. If it's an existing file, and header rows are allowed it's doable.
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza ,

Excel file is not existing already . It is a new excel file and header rows meaning _NAME_ and Col1 not allowed . But if its not possible I can create one empty excel file within the SAS folder .

Reeza
Super User
I'd probably make my first row my variable labels in this case and export using ODS EXCEL. Possible, yes. Works, yes. Great solution, No.
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Then How to I move data to specific cells in existing Excel . Can you please help

Rydhm
Obsidian | Level 7

You will need to use DDE approach for this. I don't have a perfect solution because you need to create an empty excel file(test_excel) at any location first with sheet1 renamed to Test60. Then you can use following code. There is sleep function to give time to Excel for loading.. after 5 seconds or so you will see the data in your excel file in given cells.

options noxwait noxsync;
x '"H:\test_excel.xlsx"';

/* Sleep for 5 seconds to give */
/* Excel time to start up.   */

data _null_;
   x=sleep(5);
run;

data one;
input _NAME_ $ COL1;
datalines;
IP_SUM 10
CV_SUM 20
RS_SUM 30
;
run;

/* The DDE link is established using   */

filename data dde 'excel|Test60!r17c3:r20c4'; /*Your cell range*/
data two;
 set one;
   file data;
   put _NAME_ COL1;
run;

SASKiwi
PROC Star

DDE will only work if SAS runs on your PC. If you are running on a remote SAS server then you can't use this method.

Reeza
Super User

DDE is a massive security risk and Excel locked it down in early 2020. You can unlock it though - you may want to run that by your security team.

ods excel file ='/home/fkhurshed/demo.xlsx' options(starts_at="17,3", sheet_name = "test60");
proc print data=have (firstobs=2);
label _name_ = "IP_SUM";
label COL1 = "10";
run;
ods excel close;

@Rydhm wrote:

You will need to use DDE approach for this. I don't have a perfect solution because you need to create an empty excel file(test_excel) at any location first with sheet1 renamed to Test60. Then you can use following code. There is sleep function to give time to Excel for loading.. after 5 seconds or so you will see the data in your excel file in given cells.

options noxwait noxsync;
x '"H:\test_excel.xlsx"';

/* Sleep for 5 seconds to give */
/* Excel time to start up.   */

data _null_;
   x=sleep(5);
run;

data one;
input _NAME_ $ COL1;
datalines;
IP_SUM 10
CV_SUM 20
RS_SUM 30
;
run;

/* The DDE link is established using   */

filename data dde 'excel|Test60!r17c3:r20c4'; /*Your cell range*/
data two;
 set one;
   file data;
   put _NAME_ COL1;
run;

jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza,

Is there any other option if SAS is on Citrix

jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9
I will try this code Reeza Thank you for help
Rydhm
Obsidian | Level 7

great approach!

Just why not use proc report with noheader instead of proc print?

Reeza
Super User
Because I didn't know that was an option 😄
I concur, ODS EXCEL + PROC REPORT with NOHEADER is a better option than the label.
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Reeza ,
Thank you for all your help . I have tried above code . But I am getting the results in Q3 because we gave starts_at 17 in code . But how do I get results at C15 . Can you please help .

Thank you so much
Reeza
Super User
Have you tried changing the values in STARTS_AT so that it's C15? That would be Row 15, Col 3. Q3 is col 15, row 3. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.
jhh197
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza ,

Thank you so much . It worked 🙂 . But I get output like below how do  I change code so that I don't get obs , _NAME_ and Col1 and just get the records to excel . Can you please help .

Obs_NAME_COL1
1IP_SUM10
2CV_SUM20
3RS_SUM30

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation