The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

LIBNAME and EXCEL Engine

Regular Contributor

LIBNAME and EXCEL Engine

I am trying to learn how to better interface Excel with SAS.  I found an example from a SAS User's Group paper (http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/024-31.pdf) that shows the following code:

LIBNAME WrkBk EXCEL 'My Workbook.xls' VER=2002;

DATA WrkBk.class;

SET sashelp.class;

RUN;

LIBNAME WrkBk CLEAR;

When I try running it I get an error message in the log:

ERROR: The EXCEL engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I know that I need the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files in order to use the EXCEL engine in the LIBNAME statement.  I know I have it because I ran PROC SETINIT; RUN; and I got the following log output:

NOTE: PROCEDURE SETINIT used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

Product expiration dates:

---Base SAS Software                                                     29NOV2014

---SAS/STAT                                                                  29NOV2014

---SAS/GRAPH                                                              29NOV2014

---SAS Integration Technologies                                      29NOV2014

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files                             29NOV2014

---SAS Workspace Server for Local Access                     29NOV2014

---DataFlux Trans DB Driver                                            29NOV2014

---SAS Framework Data Server                                       29NOV2014

Does anyone know why I can't use Excel on my machine?  I have also noticed that it will not let me import .xls files.  I have to use .csv.  Maybe this is a technical support question, but I thought I would try here first.

PROC Star

Re: LIBNAME and EXCEL Engine

Posted in reply to djbateman

My guess is that your machine, like most users, is running 64-bit SAS, but only 32-bit Excel.  One would have thought that SAS would have automated such discrepancies by now, but I don't think they have.

While I'm not overly familiar with it, I think you will have to research. download and install a SAS addon that I think is free, namely what I think is called the pc files server.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation