BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MUABer
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am outputting a table in the style of the one in paper 246-2011, page 9, by Allison Booth. I would like to add references in the table at the bottom. I was looking for an example online but haven't found one. My thought is to create a column called references. I'm just wondering if someone has any example they can share with me.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Any reason to not use a footnote statement?

MUABer
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks. I did. It put them in the header/footer of the rtf. So I added BODYTITLE_AUX. So now they are in separate cells from the table, but on the same page. I now would like to get it all together with no further editing from me.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I don't understand what you mean by "get it all together" -- do you mean you want ENDNOTES, like the APA endnotes or like notes at the end of an academic paper? There are 2 standards for annotating papers -- one where a footnote appears on the bottom of the page on which the footnote appears -- so footnotes 1 and 2 would appear on the bottom of page 1 and then you might have footnote 3 on page 5 and footnote 4 on page 18. Or there is a standard where you use note numbers and then show an entire list of "end notes", numbered from 1 to ???. See this Microsoft explanation and picture as a reference: Should you use footnotes, or endnotes? - Create footnotes and endnotes

From your description, it's not clear to me which one you are asking for. It sounds to me like you have implemented footnotes. Do you want to have notes at the bottom of the table (so if table 1 has footnotes 1 and 2, you want those notes to appear under that table?) and if your table 2 has footnotes 3 and 4, you want those notes to appear under that table -- perhaps instead of the bottom of the page??? Endnotes shouldn't be too hard to put together. It depends on your destination and how you want to define them. I don't know if the RTF specification has RTF control strings for ENDNOTES, but it is fairly easy to implement end notes in a separate table without using RTF control strings, assuming you have the notes in a SAS dataset/table. Here's an example of "table" notes instead of footnotes using PROC REPORT.

Cynthia

options nodate nonumber;
title 'Notes After Every Table';

ods rtf file='c:\temp\tablenote.rtf' startpage=no;
ods escapechar='^';

proc report data=sashelp.class nowd;
  column sex height,(Min Mean Max N);
  define sex / group 'Sex ^{super 1}';
  define height /analysis 'Height';
  compute after / style={just=l};
    line '^{super 1} Age span for students 11-16 years';
  endcomp;
run;

proc report data=sashelp.class nowd;
  column sex weight,(Min Mean Max N);
  define sex / group 'Sex ^{super 2}';
  define weight /analysis 'Weight';
  compute after / style={just=l};
    line '^{super 2} Note there are more boys than girls';
  endcomp;
run;
ods _all_ close;

table_notes.png
MUABer
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. This was very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation