BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Baskarkannan
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I am in need of your help. I have MS access database which resides in windows. But I need to access from Unix SAS. Could you please let me know how to access the MS Access database from Unix SAS.

Thanks.

Kannan

3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Install PC filesserver on a Windows server. Using access/pc files license on Unix 
SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.3 Interface to PC Files: Reference (PC Files Server Application)

_

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Reeza
Super User

Can your unix server connect to the windows machine? Sometimes it can't as in my setup Smiley Sad

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Reeza,

That is a frustrating situation when you need the data going from the Unix to another server-type environment Window Mainframe external URL or even as DBMS it does not matter. The logical information type and flow is not bound by those type of all used technical borders.

It are IT-staff people limited in their technical world and borders throwing up al those unneccesary barriers. I know because... :smileydevil:.

The crossing of information flow with use of a DBMS is commonly accepted.

Sending information by eMail or having it at URL (web-based) is already causing some harassment.and agitation.

Crossing those technical borders and using-placing files at the OS-level that is really troublesome.

Getting into a joke of misunderstandings, like the "operator". That was the only allowed doing actions on a keybord from a terminal. As time changed all users got terminals and keybords. Many expecting doing work....  :smileygrin: that was once the operator. Try the word operator with IT people and have fun...

SAS is really troublesome environment. It has the many options and the ease of crossing all thos technical borders. The higher level requirements as documented by: Cobit ITIL  SOX-404 OWASP SANS  HIPAA ISO27k ISTQB and probably many mores are easily ingored by too many.

Your desktop is probably Windows. Microsoft does sell server and desktop licenses in many tastes but all are sharing the same fundamentals. Your desktop/laptop is a multi-user environment, is running many services with well segregated security separation, it is the same as the windows-servers. Having Admin rights you could run SAS service-processes in the same way as windows servers on it. 

Crossing those technical borders and using-placing files at the OS-level, office and more, with SAS.

- Would you have a SAS-pc with a SAS/connect license.

You could set up a SAS/connect service (spawner) being accessible from .... (does not care) using a dhcp-naming.

Having SAS/Base installed there is no need for MS-admin rights starting it by hand.

- Would you have a SAS-pc with a SAS/Access PC-files connect license.

The PC-files Server can run at your desktop. It is a solution to run 64-bit SAS and 32-bit MS-office.

43802 - Installing SAS® 9.3 PC Files Server and using it to convert 32-bit Microsoft Office files to...

At that moment (firewalls being ignored for the ease) it could serve also a Unix Server as client having the Access/PC files license

Seeing some technical borders? I see the options to cross them everywhere.

Yes authentication autorization is needed, but that is solvable.

Using Eguide with a Unix server environment? Ever seen the Xceed dll-'s that are coming from Xceed Home. Marvelouss integration of several technical platforms. Add the classical SAS approaches running on several technical platforms and you have to admit, those technical borders are an illusion. Now convince IT people to support that all.  :smileyblush: 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation