BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Brian_Tucker
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I am creating a report and using ods to print to PDF. I have 8 columns. Three pairs of which have a commun colum header. There is a gap inthe line above the column headers that spans from part way through the first column to the third column, which is the first set of columns to share a column header.
Below is my COLUMN statement and partial output. I am using some style formating in my DEFINE statements as well as a general styles template.

COLUMN STD_DAY STAT_ORDER STAT ('Male Subjects' MALE1 MALE2) ('Female Subjects' FEMALE1 FEMALE2) ('All Subjects' TOT1 TOT2);

______******************____________________________________
Study Day Statistic MaleSubjects Female Subject All Subjects

I am using the '*' to illustrate the gap.

Any help would be appreciatted.
Brian Message was edited by: Brian Tucker
2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
When you print the PDF file, is the gap still there? When you zoom the view of the PDF file, is the gap still there?

Frequently, when I see odd lines in PDF output on the screen, it is a "small resolution line drawing" issue -- and if I zoom the view to 100% or 125% or print the output, I discover that there is no gap or missing line.

The only other thing that might be causing issues is if you are trying to overcontrol the cellwidth -- usually PDF does spanning headers quite nicely calculating the cell widths on its own.

When I run your column statement with some test data, I do not see any gap in the lines (using either the default Printer style or with the Journal style). Therefore, I wonder what is happening in your style template and DEFINE STYLE= overrides that might be altering the final results.

You might wish to work with Tech Support on this issue, as they can open a track, they can review your template code and ALL your PROC REPORT code and your PDF output file and they can work with you on possible style corrections until the issue is resolved.

cynthia
[pre]

data class (keep= std_day stat_order stat male1 male2 female1 female2 tot1 tot2);
set sashelp.class;
length std_day $9;
std_day = 'Monday';
if sex = 'M' then stat_order = 111;
else stat_order = 222;
stat = 'xxx';
male1 = height;
male2 = weight;
female1 = height +5;
female2 = weight + 5;
tot1 = sum(male1, female1);
tot2 = sum(male2, female2);
output;
std_day = 'Wednesday';
if sex = 'M' then stat_order = 111;
else stat_order = 222;
stat = 'yyy';
male1 = height +2;
male2 = weight +2;
female1 = height +3;
female2 = weight + 3;
tot1 = sum(male1, female1);
tot2 = sum(male2, female2);
output;
run;

ods pdf(1) file='c:\temp\spanhdr_def.pdf';
ods pdf(2) file='c:\temp\spanhdr_jour.pdf' style=journal;

proc report data=class nowd;
COLUMN STD_DAY STAT_ORDER STAT ('Male Subjects' MALE1 MALE2) ('Female Subjects' FEMALE1 FEMALE2)
('All Subjects' TOT1 TOT2);
title 'Spanning Headers -- Fake Data';
define std_day / group 'Study Day';
define stat_order / group 'Order';
define stat / group 'Statistic';
define male1 /sum;
define male2 / sum;
define female1 /sum;
define female2/sum;
define tot1 / sum;
define tot2 / sum;
rbreak after /summarize;
run;
ods _all_ close;

[/pre]
Brian_Tucker
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks,

I did a little more investigating on the style={cellwidth=} options. I was forcing my columns to fit a specified width. I removed those style options and included a global STYLE(REPORT)={OUTPUTWIDTH=100%}. That fixed it. Thanks for the tip on the overcontrol on the cell width!

Brian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation