The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

GCHART Pie and modifying DETAIL text

Contributor

GCHART Pie and modifying DETAIL text

For Pie and Donut charts, when using the DETAIL=variable option, is there a way to modify the height of the text that is printed on the inner circle slices? I have one detail slice that is too narrow for the detail variable value, and it is being forced out of the pie chart with an arrow. I'd like to decrease the font size and keep the value inside the pie.

There seems to be options to modify the text for the label in the Donut hole, but I can't find anything that will allow me to modify the detail text.
Super Contributor

Re: GCHART Pie and modifying DETAIL text

Contributor

Thanks Bill! I've been reading Stephen Few's book Information Dashboard Design, and I am now fully converted to the view that pie charts are limited in their usefulness. Unfortunately it is proving difficult to convince clients of this.
Super Contributor

Peter;

The most convincing method is to show the pie and then ask data questions. Then show the other (for different data so they can't rememember the answers) and note the change in understanding, response time etc.
I've sometimes shown pie charts without any values attached along side the comparable bar chart and asked for responses to data questions.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation