The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

Force all values of categorical variable to appear in proc tabulate with missing data

Occasional Contributor

Force all values of categorical variable to appear in proc tabulate with missing data

In SAS 9.4 I have a dataset where there are US states with missing data for all variables and would like to have those states to still show up in proc tabulate.

I was considering making an empty dataset with simply all 52 states, along with a dummy variable default to 0, and merge this dataset with the existing dataset to do this.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Super User

Re: Force all values of categorical variable to appear in proc tabulate with missing data

[ Edited ]

Generally with Proc Tabulate the approach for this is to use the option Preloadfmt for the class variable. This does require that you have a format for the variable with all of the levels you want displayed. Then add the Printmiss option to the table options or use order=data for the class variable.

Here is a very trivial example:

proc format library=work;
value $a
'A' = 'Apple'
'B' = 'Banana'
'C' = 'Cat'
'D' = 'Dog'
;
run;

data tab;
   do grp = 'A','C','D';
     i+1;
     output;
   end;
run;

proc tabulate data= tab;
   class grp/ preloadfmt;
   format grp $a.;
   var i;
   table grp,
         i *(n mean)
         / printmiss;
run;

Note that if you use a multilabel format then the order of statements in the format definition and the options order= will seriously effect the appearance.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Force all values of categorical variable to appear in proc tabulate with missing data

[ Edited ]

Thank you.

In the end, I created a format for the 52 US states and applied them to the proc tabulate like so:

PROC TABULATE NOSEPS MISSING FORMAT=7. DATA=tbls;
 CLASS STATEFIP /PRELOADFMT;
 CLASS SERVICES YR;
 TABLES YR, STATEFIP, SERVICES / PRINTMISS MISSTEXT='0';
 WHERE YR = &SAMPLEYR1;
 FORMAT SERVICES SVC. STATEFIP $STATE.;
 RUN;
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation