BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All:

Just a quick question - is the variable size limited to 96 bytes when using ExcelXP?

I have a large text variable that I need to include but the log has:

ERROR: The width of Description is not between 1 and 96. Adjust the column width or linesize.

My column width is 100 and linesize is 200;

I've never come across this one before.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Tim_SAS
Barite | Level 11
That message looks like a PROC REPORT message that is issued when a column in the report exceeds the listing linesize. If you want only the ExcelXP output and don't need the listing output, turn the listing off:
[pre]
ods listing close;
...stuff...
ods listing;
[/pre]
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
As Tim explained, this happens all the time when I have wide character variables that are longer than the LISTING linesize. This Tech Support note
http://support.sas.com/kb/18/518.html

outlines the issue. This issue has been around since SAS 8 -- so you're lucky you haven't run into it before!

cynthia
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
All:

Thanks for the great help. Never would have thought to stop the listing.

Turns out the text field contains a ton of special characters so either ExcelXP or Excel itself choke on random records. I have no way of telling which record or position causes the problem.

I finally had to run a translate on the text field and keep only alpha and numeric characters (translate everything else to spaces) to get all the data on the report.

Just one more thing - since this is a text field and can be up to 1024 chars, the text wraps in the cell - is there any way to auto-adjust the height of the cell so that the text can be read without manually changing the cell height?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Excel and row heights can be tricky. If you search for previous forum postings, this has come up before. I believe the relevant sub-option is the row_heights suboption -- however, it only has a way to set a row height for ALL the table cells -- not just one row or one column.

I don't know whether this is an instance that a CALL DEFINE in PROC REPORT would be able to specify a height for a specific row or not. But perhaps if you play around with row_heights and the autofit_height sub-options, you will get close to what you want.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation