BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LisaSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

I am having a problem getting my data to display in EG or a Stored Process using Proc Print. I’m able to query my data, and Send To Excel – which tells me it’s the proc print.

The error I’m getting is ‘ERROR: Invalid characters were present in the data.’ In some of my fields within the names would be the company’s trademarks. When I pull this information into EG, it will display in the field as a triangle with a question mark in the middle

(Field�Name – should have an ` above one of the letters).

However, when I go to do a report display with a proc print or proc report I get the error.

I’m running version 7.15 (7.100.5.5850) (64-bit) – this was not an issue before we did our upgrade. Is there something different I need to do now with this version?

I’ve tried adding this code to my field when I select my data from the tables, but it still does not work;

Compress(fieldname,,’kw’)

3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I wonder if your encoding option needs to be changed to UTF8? This may be something your SAS or EG Administrator needs to follow-up with Tech Support. If there is a configuration setting that needs to change then you may not have the permissions to do that.

I've seen a similar issue sometimes when trying to read data with u-umlaut or the es-tset characters. The fix for that is typically changing the encoding= option at startup.

cynthia
LisaSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

When I look in the log, it has 'ENCODING=UTF8'

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, well, that means something other than encoding is causing the issue. I think your best resource might be opening a track with Tech Support.

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation