BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Maze
Fluorite | Level 6

hey there,

I ran into a problem I can´t seem to resolve on my own:

I´m creating output in a .txt file on a unix server. The file is then beeing archived (ODS PACKAGE) and sent to several people using the mail-engine.

When I open the file on unix directly, it is perfectly aligned, every record has it´s own line and the same values start in the same columns.

Opening the same file from the mail on an windows environment shows that there is a offset (7 characters, can´t find the reason for the number) which every line is offset from the next one.

Example:

Unix Output (correct):

values that are only on the first row

this is the first row          123     randomstring

this is the second row    472     anotherstring

this is the third row        555      laststringvalue

values that are only on the last row

Windows Output:

values that are only on the first row this is

the first row          123     randomstring

this is the second row    472     anothe

rstring this is the third row       555      laststring

value values that are only on the last row

It seems like there is a problem between the static first row and the first dynamic row generated from column values

The code looks something like this:

data WORK.OUT end=EOF;

file = "/bla/bla/out.txt";

if _N_ = 1 then put 'values that are only on the first row';

put     STR1 $26.

STR2 $7.

STR3 $15.;

if EOF then put 'values that are only on the last row';

run;

I´d appreciate it, if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Maze
Fluorite | Level 6

just a heads up:

I fixed the problem by manually inserting a CR/LF (carriage return/line feed) character ('0D0A'X) at the end of every line.

The plain file now has an empty row between every relevant row,

but the file inside the package is correctly formatted, which is what matters to me.

Explanation:

Unix uses LF or in hex '0A'x to indicate the end of a line.

Windows uses CR/LF or in hex '0D0A'x.

(Macintosh uses CR '0D'x)

It seems like windows just ignores the '0A'x.

I´m working on a cleaner solution that replaces all LF with CR/LF instead of adding a CR/LF to an existing LF.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Does it do the same if you specify the position to put:

put @1 STR1 @26 STR2 @33 STR3;

Its likely to be the app you use to look at the data presenting spaces/tabs slightly differently - you get that between apps, for instance using tabs in SAS code, then opening them in Notepad really messes up alignment.  The other thing I would suggest is using CSV (or maybe XML) - then it could be opened in Excel or Text quite easily.

Maze
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks for your suggestion, I´ll try the @ variant.

although I think the problem is, that the end-of-line value gets messed up between unix and windows.

I realized it looks like the line is filled until lrecl is reached instead of having a line for each put-statement.

changing the output format is no option, I´d never do it like I have to if I were given the choice Smiley Wink

Maze
Fluorite | Level 6

just a heads up:

I fixed the problem by manually inserting a CR/LF (carriage return/line feed) character ('0D0A'X) at the end of every line.

The plain file now has an empty row between every relevant row,

but the file inside the package is correctly formatted, which is what matters to me.

Explanation:

Unix uses LF or in hex '0A'x to indicate the end of a line.

Windows uses CR/LF or in hex '0D0A'x.

(Macintosh uses CR '0D'x)

It seems like windows just ignores the '0A'x.

I´m working on a cleaner solution that replaces all LF with CR/LF instead of adding a CR/LF to an existing LF.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation