The SAS Output Delivery System and reporting techniques

Concatenating multiple datasets vertically into the same dataset using ODS output.

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Concatenating multiple datasets vertically into the same dataset using ODS output.

[ Edited ]

I am trying to create one dataset(pos) from 2 datsets (abc , def) like below

member    variable  num

----------    ----------   ------

abc           avar1        1

abc           avar2        2

def            dvar1        1

def            dvar2        2

using ods statement

ods output position=pos (keep=member variable num where=(num<=2));
proc contents data=abc varnum;
run;
ods output close;

ods output position=pos (keep=member variable num where=(num<=2));
proc contents data=def varnum;
run;
ods output close;

My problem is when I run the second ods output staement for 'def' , it overwrites the 'pos' dataset that was created for 'abc' dataset.

i want to concatenate the outputs of 2 ods statements vertically into one dataset.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-16-2016 09:33 AM
Super User

Re: Concatenating multiple datasets vertically into the same dataset using ODS output.

Using ODS to output data is a great possibility. Which I use only when I can't get the data I want any "regular way".

What I can see from your desired output, this information is available directly in SASHELP.VCOLUMN and DICTIONARY.COLUMNS.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Re: Concatenating multiple datasets vertically into the same dataset using ODS output.

ODS OUTPUT creates a new dataset, therefore the old dataset is overwritten.

Use two different dataset names in the ODS OUTPUT statements and concatenate them later with a data step, or do not close/reopen the ODS destination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Solution
‎04-16-2016 09:33 AM
Super User

Using ODS to output data is a great possibility. Which I use only when I can't get the data I want any "regular way".

What I can see from your desired output, this information is available directly in SASHELP.VCOLUMN and DICTIONARY.COLUMNS.

Data never sleeps
New Contributor

Thanks. Tried with dictionary.columns  and it worked.

Super User
Super User

There is nothing to concatenate:

data want;
  set sashelp.vcolumn;
  where libname="WORK" and memname in ("ABC","DEF");
run;
☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation