BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
megsredl
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I opened up SAS yesterday and it looks different (see screenshot below). The font changed and the menus now have keyboard commands next to them, and backslashes now show up as the yen/yuan sign. Based on that last part I think I'm in the Japanese environment and need to change the encoding, but I'm not clear on what I need to do to change it back to the default settings. (I am located in the US.) How do I change it back, and what did I do in the first place to cause this problem? 

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

1 REPLY 1
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @megsredl,

In my German environment I get a similar picture (including the Yen-sign backslashes) when I use the icon (shortcut) "SAS 9.4 (English with DBCS)" from the Start menu to open SAS instead of "SAS 9.4 (Englisch)" or my own customized start icon. The difference between these three is the -CONFIG system option (in the Target field of the Properties dialog box of the start icons) referring to different configuration files:

• SAS 9.4 (English with DBCS) refers to C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\1d\sasv9.cfg. System options set in this .cfg file include
    • -DBCS
    • -LOCALE ja_JP
    • -ENCODING shift-jis

(That's why it looks so Japanese.)

• SAS 9.4 (Englisch) refers to C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg, which contains
    • -LOCALE de_DE [This is probably -LOCALE en_US on your system.]
    • -ENCODING wlatin1
    • and not: -DBCS

• My own start icon refers to my custom .cfg file, which is similar to the ...\en\sasv9.cfg version.

So, maybe you just used the wrong start icon/shortcut or the properties of your start icon have changed or the configuration file it refers to in the -CONFIG option. Or you started SAS by double-clicking a registered SAS file type (then SAS uses a "default configuration file"). Or the usual .cfg file is not found and SAS defaults to a different configuration file. There are quite a number of possibilities where SAS searches for configuration files and system options at invocation: see How SAS Finds and Processes Configuration Files and the flow chart in that section. But the system options that are specified directly in the Target field of the Properties dialog box of the start icon (including the -CONFIG option and the system options in the .cfg file it refers to) override all previous settings. That is, you can specify your favorite option settings there, e.g.

• -LOCALE en_US
  • -ENCODING wlatin1
  • -NODBCS

or just

• -CONFIG "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg" (of course with the path adapted to your system and after reviewing the sasv9.cfg file with a text editor)

and this should hopefully solve the problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation